1. Default Denver to Las Vegas

In mid September I will be travelling from Denver to Las Vegas in a 9m long RV with a few friends.

We have 4.5 days of travelling and are planning on following a route from Denver via Moab, through Monument Valley, take in the Grand Canyon and then over to Las Vegas.

Can anybody give any recommendations on routes to avoid (due to size of RV) but more importantly places we should definitely visit?

This will be our first trip through the US so any advice would be really helpful.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default North or South

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Which part of the Grand Canyon are you planning to visit? If you're going to the north rim, then you could easily swing through Zion on your way back to Vegas!

Otherwise, I think you should be in good shape, and if you stick to the main highways you shouldn't have too many problems driving the RV, even in this mountainous terrain.

Central California

Default A little tight to see them all.

With the itinerary you've suggested you'll have a chance to see Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park and Natural Bridges National Monument on the way to Monument Valley, but you'll miss Capitol Reef, Escalante, Bryce and Zion National Parks.

Unfortunately you don't have time to see them all. While I would never say that you should skip the first set of parks and Monument Valley (a truely iconic landscape) in preference to the second set, you should think about it and maybe do some research before making a final decision.

I don't know what I'd do in your situation, we're big fans of Capitol Reef National Park, and we love all the others as well. But my wife's favorite place on the planet is Monument Valley.

Either one is a winning choice.

Oh, and don't worry about the roads. There may be a couple of places with low-hanging trees, looming rock walls or steep dropoffs where you'll hold your breath a bit, but as long as you stay on the asphault you'll have no problem.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years