1. Default Noob...Mass to Tampa FL HEEELLLLP

Hi travelers,
    I just found this site, and it looks great.

In a few days, I'm driving from Worcester, MA down to Tampa, FL. And I've heard there is a good way to avoid the whole NY mess. If anyone has any route suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

2. Default

Hi Dan. I recently came back from a trip to Maine and avoided the NY area. It's about 10 miles out of the way, but worth it. This is what I did:

Take 95 south until you see an exit for Route 287 towards the Tapanzee Bridge (I think this is one of the first exits after you enter into NY).

After you come over the Tapanzee, it will be another maybe 15 minutes or so. Get off at the exit for the Garden State Parkway. Take the Garden State Parkway until the exit for the NJ Turnpike.

You can take the NJ Turnpike all the way down into Delaware... or if you don't like the turnpike, you can get off at exit 7A and take route 195 West until you reach 295, then take 295 south until you reach Delaware. You have to travel slower than the turnpike, but it's less congested and cheaper.

From NJ you will take the Delaware Memorial Bridge which will dump you onto 95 and there you go!

Realize that there will still be a good amount of vehicles traveling on 287 and the GSP and turnpike, but NOTHING like trying to cross one of the bridges. Delays of 60 minutes in the middle of the afternoon on a weekend are just the beginning!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Bypassing NYC

Welcome to the RTA forum!

AZ Buck offered his great tips for routes to get around New York Traffic (including some great scenic ideas) in this thread.