1. Default January Trip: Vegas - SF - LA

Can someone please let me know if what I am planning to do is possible (or advisable).

We are planning a driving trip from Vegas to San Francisco to Los Angeles in January of next year. I realise that this is not the best time for it but we have to go to the USA for a wedding so the dates are not very flexible.

However, there is no reason why I could not move the starting points around as BA will fly into and out of LV, LA of SF.

We were planning on arriving on 27 or 28 December in Las Vegas and having a few nights there. I would like to stay there for New Years Eve but have heard that the traffic will be so bad the next day that it might be worth giving that a miss and leaving on 31 December (would welcome any views on this).

Then plan to drive to Yosemite via death valley with 1 night stop somewhere along the way.
    2 nights in Yosemite (so that would be 1st and 2nd January) (will there be a problem with snow - I understand that you need chains and I am not experienced in driving in snow)
    The off to SF on the 3rd and stay in SF for 3 nights departing on 6th of Jan.

We then plan to get to LA (via the coast road) on 7th or 8th of Jan.

Is this trying to fit too much in. Any input would be greatly appreciated (especially in respect of the drive from Vegas to Yosemite and the best way into the park at that time of year (assuming that it is possible at all)

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tucson, AZ

Default A Problem

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

At least one part of your plan is impossible. There is no way to go from Death Valley directly to Yosemite in the winter. Tioga Pass, which is how CA-120 crosses the Sierra Nevada mountains from the town of Lee Vining north of Death Valley to Yosemite, gets snowed in some time in October or November and does not get re-opened until May or June the next year. While it is certainly possible to go to all three locations, Las Vegas, Death Valley and Yosemite, it does require a relatively long detour through Bakersfield, CA that will add many miles and hours to your drive.

Otherwise, you seem to have plenty of time to do everything you have planned. Have a look at the threads linked to from here for more discussions of the many options with this most popular of RoadTrips.