1. Default Need help avoiding tunnel with propane restrictions

Please help! We're relatively new to RVing and are looking for our first "real road trip". We are trying to go from Philadelphia, PA to Williamsburg, VA with our travel trailer, but every map program I use takes us through the Harbor and Fort McHenry tunnels which have propane restrictions. We are looking for a way around the tunnels which won't take us through the small streets of downtown Baltimore. Anyone able to help? Thanks

2. Default

I have a completely different route to Virginia from Philly that completly bypasses Baltimore.

Copyright: Google Maps
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-30-2007 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Moved Map Copyright

3. Default

Thanks - I didn't even consider that way. Appreciate it!

Central California

Default Propane while driving

There are at least two schools of thought concerning leaving your propane on while driving. The safest says that driving with the propane on is kind of like Russian Roulette. You aren't likely to have an accident, but if you do the damage can be total if the gas lines break and there is any kind of spark.

The only reason for leaving it on in the summer is to keep your refrigerator cool. Conventional wisdom says that you can go for hours with the fridge off and you won't spoil your food, or even melt your ice cream. After at least 4 hours you are likely to take a break for lunch, during which you can turn the fridge back on for a quick cool down. However, if it is too hot and you are afraid of loosing your cool, and you are driving a motorhome, you can run your generator while you are driving, using your house air conditioning instead of your dash air, and also running your fridge electrically.

The other school says, heck with it, I'm not going to have a wreck so I'll just leave the propane on all the time. I don't know the percentages, but I'll bet that most people fall into this school, and fortunately most don't have serious accidents.

(Side note: since most propane tanks are mounted on the curb side and gas lines are well protected within the frame of your RV the chances of having a catastrophic accident are slim, but the chances of having some sort of accident are not so slim. We were just taking a routine left curve last October when a couple of guys having a good time after work missed the turn coming the opposite direction and wiped out all the compartments on the left side of our new motorhome. No one was seriously hurt, and all things considered the damage was easily repaired, but it can happen so fast, so unexpectedly that you have no time to react.

Your choice, but the good thing about the first school, with the propane off, is that you don't have to worry about tunnels.

Have a great time in Williamsburg. Be sure to stay for the fife and drum corps can feel the vibration of the drums in your chest. I'm sure the soldiers were inspired by the sound.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default The transit authority won't care

Quote Originally Posted by RedCorral View Post
    Your choice, but the good thing about the first school, with the propane off, is that you don't have to worry about tunnels.
    I lived in a motorhome for 6.5 years and, in my experience, transit authorities don't ask whether or not you have the propane on -- they just assume you do...

That being said, I ALWAYS traveled with it engaged. Not really that big a deal.