1. Default Road Trip, no time limit only money...

G'day everyone,

My friends and I have decided to do a road trip through America as our next travel adventure. I just need some advice on a few things.. first I'll give you the run down...

There are 3 confirmed people, 2 more maybes. We have aprox $7500 american dollars each and the only time restraint we have is the 3 months tourist visa issued to us on arrival in the US. We fly into Vancouver on the 6th of Sept to start the trip. We are all young Aussie guys between 23 and 25 and are trying to get as far around the US by road trip as possible. We plan on starting in Vancouver, driving south through Seattle down to SanFranciso, over to Vegas, back to Los Angeles down to San Deigo and probably into Mexico a little before heading across and doing the East coast as well. We are planning on camping as much as possible to cut costs. I have a few questions that hopefully you guys can help me with.

1) should we do this all in one hit eg drive down the west coast across the bottom and back up the east coast or should we do the West coast first and then stop and fly over to the east coast and do it seperatley??

2) We are planning on buying a van to do it in as the length of time we will be spending and the distance will make it very expensive to hire a van. Is this the best way to go?

3)Do you think we have enough money to make it the whole way round or would we be better off making a shorter road trip and spending more money on that?

Any other advice you guys have please don't hesitate to fill up my brain..

thanks a bunch

andy

Default good foundation

welcome to the RTA Forum!

1) should we do this all in one hit eg drive down the west coast across the bottom and back up the east coast or should we do the West coast first and then stop and fly over to the east coast and do it seperatley??
    There are a lot of really cool things between the coasts in the US, and since you don't have a strict time limit, I think it would be a real shame to miss it. Plus, if you decide to buy a car, it won't be practical to sell it and then try to buy another one on the other coast (at least not without spending a lot of time and money in the process)

2) We are planning on buying a van to do it in as the length of time we will be spending and the distance will make it very expensive to hire a van. Is this the best way to go?
    This is never quite as simple as it seems, because of the challenges of getting a car licensed and insured without an address in North America. Also if you buy a car in Canada, it will be very difficult to sell the car in the US (mostly because of tax issues). This topic has come up frequently in the past, so I'd try doing a search for a little more info on the topic of buying a car.

I will say that if you only end up going as a pair, then you won't need a van, and renting a car could be the better choice.

3)Do you think we have enough money to make it the whole way round or would we be better off making a shorter road trip and spending more money on that?
    $7500 each should give you plenty of money to make a 3 month long trip, especially if you end up going with 4 or 5 people. Since you are already planning to cut costs by camping, I really don't think money will be a big problem for you.

3. Default

Thanks heaps for the help, I'll definatley be searching and re-searching this forum its a wealth of knowledge. Thanks again..

Andy

Default Zig Zag

No, not the rolling paper, but a possible path.

See if this works for you.

South - Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, LA, San Diego, with a swing inland to Yosemite

North - Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone.

East - Devil's Tower, Black Hills, Badlands, Chicago

South - St. Louis, Memphis, New Orleans

East - Florida's West Coast, Everglades, Keys, Space Center

North - Atlanta, Smoky Mountains, Appalacians, Williamsburg, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, New York City, Boston, and out.

I don't know if this works time-wise, or if you are this ambitious, but the general suggestion is a zigzag approach that catches most of the major, uniquely American sites and cities. There is no way to begin to list all the attractions along the route - just keep a good guidebook or two in the front seat of the van.

Have a wonderful, eye-opening trip...and try to get some sleep along the way.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years