Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default NJ to South Roadtrip in August 2007

Hello All,

I am taking my vacation from August 26th to September 9th. My wedding anniversary is on August 27th. I live in New jersey and am planning to take a road trip to the South. I am thinking of spending our anniversary at Smoky Mountains. My wife is currently 10 weeks pregnant. So, I don't want this to be a very stressful experience. Based on my limited knowledge and experience (and reading through a few posts), I am thinking that i should possibly visit Smoky mountains, Atlanta, Savannah, a few good places in North Carolina and get back. Can you please advise if there is a better itenerary that I could follow? I really appreciate the help.

Regards,
    Azeez

Default Taking it Easy in the East

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Two weeks covering the Mid-Atlantic region from the coast to the Appalachians should not be too stressful at all. There are lots of very low key, low impact activities in that region including strolls along the beach shopping in picturesque towns, carriage rides through historic areas, etc. If you haven't already, be sure to read this thread on a similar trip.

AZBuck

3. Default That's good - but would like something more

Thanks for the info. That sounds nice and I will try to think about how to include this in my plan. But since the number of days that I have are more than the poster in the thread you had referred to, can you suggest additional places I can visit? I am definitely interested in including GA in my plan. Thanks for the help.

Default More or Less

You can always add stuff as you go along, but a few of the places that might make good extensions to that previous trip are, as you noted, northern Georgia, particularly romantic Savannah, but rather than trying to cover more ground, I think you'd be better served by seeking out some of the quieter venues that are already within the scope of that trip, such as Assateague and Chincoteague on the Delmarva; Jamestown (history) and Lexington (quiet) in Virginia; relaxing ferry rides; and the like.

AZBuck

Default A little further inland

Hi,

Congrats on the pending baby.

A town that surprised us was Chattanooga, Tennesee. There has much to see, from the beautiful aquarium that specializes in Tennessee River ecology to the Ruby Falls cave (easy, level walk).

Another interesting place for history, besides the usual Monticello, Mt. Vernon, Williamsburg, which are all wonderful, is the Frontier Life Museum in Staunton, VA. A very relaxed walk through the park takes you into homesteads from Ireland, England and Germany that date back centuries.

Of course, along the way there are several major museums in DC and Atlanta (speaking of which, Blind Willies is a great blues bar (though your wife shouldn't be drinking), and Fat Mac's is a great blues BBQ place.

Finally, one of our favorite relaxing places is Cedar Key on the west coast of Florida (west of Ocala). It is a small village with some good motels, nice restaurants and killer sunsets. Near there we like the Homososa Springs wildlife park, just down the west coast a ways. That could be a good, unhurried extension if you have the time.

Have a wonderful trip, and a beautiful baby,

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

6. Default Thanks so much

Thanks so much for the information so far. Based on this topic as well as another one, I am composing a list of places that are candidates. I will post them here sometime soon. Would appreciate if you can all share your thoughts on it.

7. Default Golden Age / Golden Access passport pass

Hello all,

I just came across a link that mentioned that getting these passes are good for gaining entry into the parks and camping. Can someone please give more details and suggest if it is a useful investment to make?

Regards,
    Azeez

Default Not everything

The national park passes are only good for park admission fees, they do not cover extra expenses for things like camping.

They are still a good deal if you are planning to visit 4 or 5 National Parks, but you still have to pay to camp.

9. Default Passes offer some camping discounts

I found campgrounds offering a campingdiscount for patrons who hold this pass. Is this fairly common. You could save quite a bit on your stay. Does anyone have any information on the usefullness of these passes?

Default Seniors Only

The Golden Age/Access Pass has actually been replaced by the America the Beautiful Pass Program.

The regular pass does not offer any discounts for camping, but the passes designed for Seniors and Disabled Citizens will give you a 50% discount at national park campgrounds and other extra activities like tours.

But unless you are disabled or you are a senior citizen, you would not be eligable for the discount.