Default Fly there rent car and drive back

Hi i am planning a 10 day road trip I will be flying into Sioux Falls and renting a car I need to visit family in Iowa and Kansas. I then have 7 days to road trip back to Southern California. If anyone knows of any great things to see in these 2 states and others on the way back please write back I dont
    often get a chance to get out of town.

Thanks Diane53

Default This is the subject of my next column

Quote Originally Posted by Diane53 View Post
    Hi i am planning a 10 day road trip I will be flying into Sioux Falls and renting a car I need to visit family in Iowa and Kansas.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- this is interesting -- this is the subject of a column I will be writing next week -- A "Fly-Drive-RoadTrip" I will be back later today with some suggestions.

Mark

Default A couple of ideas

Hi, These are two under-appreciated states. They don't have the big natural wonders, but there is quite a lot to see if you are open-minded.

One of our favorite places in Iowa is the Living History Farms in Urbandale, near Des Moines. They give you a wonderful taste of life in the "old days" at an Indian Village, a frontier town and working farm.

A truely amazing place in Kansas is the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson. The have an extensive collection of space artifacts, many of which came from the Smithsonian collection. The museum traces the history of space flight from the German V1 flying bombs used in WWII up through the space shuttles.

Either is easily a half day stop if you get into the subject.

Still, my favorite aspects of this part of the country is the small towns. You never know what you'll find as you wander the secondary highways. The town my father grew up near, Mt. Ayr, is a classic, tidy, small town/county seat in southern Iowa. It has many old buildings, lovely churches and well maintained homes. I'm not recommending it as a tourist destination, necessarily, but somewhat like the joy of driving through the quiet villages of England, there are many charming towns to encounter all over the Midwest.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

Quote Originally Posted by Diane53 View Post
    Hi i am planning a 10 day road trip I will be flying into Sioux Falls and renting a car I need to visit family in Iowa and Kansas. I then have 7 days to road trip back to Southern California. If anyone knows of any great things to see in these 2 states and others on the way back please write back I dont
    often get a chance to get out of town.

Thanks Diane53
    Being from the UK, all of my road trips in the USA involve flying out and hiring a car. On important fact I have learnt is that to do the type of trip you are talking about will almost certainly involve a drop off charge for picking the hire car in one place and dropping off in another. look into this aspect early in your plans to avoid a potentially nasty financial shock.

The drop off charges vary enormously so shop around for the bext deal.

UK

I flew from Kentucky to San Jose, rented a car, drove to Monterey for the USGP, and then drove the car back across the country to Kentucky and dropped it off there. No extra charges. This was from Hertz.

It's a good way to do a cross-country trip when you're strapped for time.

Default Fly there drive back

Thanks to everyone for the information. This is a great forum and I

plan to use it often.

Diane53