1. Default I need help planning places to go

I am planning to go on a 3 month road trip next summer but im looking for cool places to go and fun things to do. I am starting in Virginia and heading north sometime in June.I am hoping to go through and to as many states as possible. I am even interested in going to Canada and Mexico if I have time.
    Thanks for the help-Kyla

Keithville, LA

Default Places to Go

Greetings Kyla!

I think the first thing you need to do is look around the boards. Maybe check out some of the roadtrip stories from other members. We're really good at helping out once you get a general itenerary or a sense of what you're looking for in a roadtrip. Do you have any particular destinations that you want to see, are you aiming to visit every knit shop between Virginia and Mexico, do you want to see the nightlife, or maybe take in a car race? Those are all things that have inspired trips. So, just give us some more info and then we'll definitely be able to help.

Central California

Default Kind of like a shopping trip

Congrats on blocking out such a large span of time. You'll get to see a lot, depending on your ambitions and expectations...which, is the crux of your problem. Your question is kind of like asking "I have $50,000 and all day to shop on 5th Avenue, what should I buy?"

I suggest you spend some time at the library looking at photo books of the national parks and scenic areas, pick up a guidebook to the best scenic drives in the country, and get a USA guidebook or a set of AAA Tourbooks. Just browsing through the pages will inspire all kinds of ideas and possibilites, so flag them all.

Ideally, you can locate them on a map and once you start your trip you can either just wander from place to place, or you can create a skeleton itinerary, which will undoubtedly change as weather, proximity, exhaustion, etc. exert their influence.

As you can see, this can be a pretty involved process, but it can also be a wonderfully exciting undertaking. The good news is you have lots of time to plan.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years