1. Default Need advice for trip from California to Colorado

We are moving from Los Angeles to Denver and are very uncertain about which route to take. We have older vehicles and are not big fans of curvy mountain roads. We understand that I-70 is the quickest way, but that it goes through the Rockies. My question is, are there roads that are windy with steep drops on this route. The other option that we are considering is I-10 to I-17, then 1-40 to I-25 and into Denver. This seems to be less mountainess, but that may not be true. The final option is to stay on I-10 all the way to I-25 and up into Denver. I know there is more time involved, but we are simply looking for the flatest route with as few mountain roads as pollisble.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Mountain Roads vs. Driving through Mountains

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I do feel compelled to note that there is a big difference between driving on twisting mountain roads and driving on the Interstate through the mountains. Interstates have wide shoulders and gradual slopes and have very little in common with "mountain roads" with hairpin turns and steep drop offs.

That said, if you want to avoid the mountains of I-70, I would take I-40 to I-25. Its going to be the shortest of the alternatives, although its a good 200+ miles more than I-70. Taking I-10 all the way to I-25 would keep you the flatest of all the options, but it would add more than a half day of driving because of the extra miles.