1. Default About using ferry

Because of financial problems with my coast to coast-trip, i have decided to make a shorter trip. A trip from New York City to Miami. But the way im going to drive on demands that I use ferry two times. I will have to use the Ocracoke Island Ferry and Cedar Island Ferry. So iam wondering if anyone have experience with travell over water with ferry?
    What is the cost to take myself, my brother and our car on the ferry?
    How long before I have to use it should I reserve a spot for us and our car?
    Thanks for the help...I hope.
    If someone knows any good hostel or motel in Miami that would be nice too.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default official info

Welcome to the RTA forum!

While I have used a Ferry for my car, I have no direct experience with these particular ferries, and pretty much every boat is different with their policies and procedures.

However, according to the official website the trip takes a little over 2 hours and costs $15 for a car one way. I'm not sure about reservations.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Ferry travel

Greetings and welcome to the forum!

I have a lot of experience with ferry travel, as having lived in the Puget Sound of Washington for many years. Most ferries operate on a set schedule, and there really is no "reserving" a spot. You simply drive up to the toll booth, pay the fare, and wait in line for the next ferry. If it's busy, sometimes you have to wait for a second ferry. I say this for most ferries.

Researching a bit on your specific ferry route, you might need to call the Ferry Hotline for specific details, as they may request reservations on one route that is only running on a partial schedule.

Here is the information for what I believe is your ferry routes:
    Route 4
    Route 5

It looks like it will cost you about $15 each ride, give or take.

The 1-800 number's listed do say information about reservations, I would generally call as far in advance as you can. If you know you have a day before you'll arrive, call and see if you can make reservations for the entire trip. If not, do it within several hours. You might even call the ferry information number and ask them how much advanced reservation is needed.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-26-2007 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Preferred URL Format herein

Tucson, AZ

Default Outer Bank Ferries

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The two ferries that you refer to will make a great break on your drive down the east coast and are amazingly inexpensive. The ferry between Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands is, in fact, free and runs every half hour during the day, taking 40 minutes for the crossing. The ferry between Ocracoke and Cedar Islands will set you back all of about $16 for you, your friend and the car for a very relaxing two and a half hour cruise across Pamlico Sound. I'd recommend reservations on the Ocracoke to Cedar Island ferry only if you know exactly when you'll be there and only if making a particular crossing is critical to your plans. I've made both these crossings, and as I said, they will be one of the more memorable parts of your trip.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Not the ferries I'm used to

I just thought I'd also say that the ferries I'm used to would hold at least 2 to 3 of these outer bank ferries on their main decks alone. No wonder they even have a reservation number on the individual route sites.