Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Smoky Mountains

I was planning a camping trip to the Smoky Mountains around the first or second week of August, however, when looking at websites and reading about the area, I ran across several articles that emphasized the high rate of pollution / ozone in this area....

How bad is it? I have a 13 year old son who tends to suffer from allergies/respitory problems (asthma) --- it wouldn't be a whole lot of fun if we found ourselves in an emergency room for breathing treatments..

Can anyone share their recent experiences?

Thanks! Angie

Default An RTA Editor was the ground there yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by Angie65804 View Post
    I was planning a camping trip to the Smoky Mountains around the first or second week of August, however, when looking at websites and reading about the area, I ran across several articles that emphasized the high rate of pollution / ozone in this area....
    I am not disputing the articles -- I haven't read them, but Megan was in the Great Smokey's yesterday and she reported that:

a) it was lovely -- she didn't not see nor smell any pollution of any kind
    b) It rains a lot there, which tends to scrub the air
    c) There is lots and lots of lichen on the trees and rocks in the area and lichen generally can not survive in areas of high pollution
    d) Here are the current conditions for ozone and particulate matter (collected on the Tennessee side of the park)

Megan saw a bear and some gorgeous views -- more articles next week. Oh, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Megan saw a bear
    :o

I am gonna be in the Smoky Mountains at the end of next month and I'm a bit scared of the thought of bears! :s I'm also nervous of this pollution lark, I sold the idea to my travel partner on the basis we'd be able to see for miles from the top of Clingmans Dome... I hope it's clear!

Angie, perhaps you could report back once you've been so that I have an idea what to expect?

4. Default

I did the skyway and blue ride mountains last year and came around a curve and stopped 15 feet from a big black bear standing in the road-I thought hmmmm-do i grab my camera or get out of the way-he made the first move down off the road-during mating season slow down-lots of bears get hit by cars and bikes-its a real concern to the park rangers-chances are you wont see one but dont let bears being there stop you-

Default The Foggy Mountains

I went there a week ago and didn't find any problems with the air.
    I however ran into dense fog on my climb to Clingman's Dome. As a result I was able to see maybe 10 meters :) got some really nice fog pictures and one of the trial sign! none of the view!
    Didn't see any bears but I saw a cute bunny rabbit. Just practice safe bear measures, keep your food and any smells in the trunk of your car, make noise when you're walking to scare them away/warn them. As with other wildlife, if they notice you- you're too close, back away.

Stayed in Smokemont Campground just near the beginning of the park. The rangers were very friendly, the camp was nice and quiet, people were respectful concerning noise, it was near a nice little bubbling brook and had some nature trails leading off from it.

I recommend you do a weather report, the ozone report, walk slowly up a hill and enjoy the view (or fog :)

Default We have a local source now!

Quote Originally Posted by UKCraig View Post
    I am gonna be in the Smoky Mountains at the end of next month
    Craig, check out this new post by new member MrsPete!

Mark

Thanks for the update, mikphire. I stayed at Smokemont last year as well, it's a nice little (basic) campground isn't it?

And, Mark, thanks for that link - that is quite a post - it's been a looong day so I'm gonna take a shower, pour myself a cold Guinness, then sit down and have myself a read. Thanks!

Default cold Guinness?

Quote Originally Posted by UKCraig View Post
    pour myself a cold Guinness,
    Oh the horrors... don't you drink it at room temperature?

Mark

Default Nooooo!

Only one thing to say... ewwwww!

PS I was at the Guinness brewery at 5am this morning... sadly the visitor center wasn't open at that point!

Default Ozone, Pollution, etc

I don't know about the Great Smokey Mountains in particular, but we've had this issue crop up around here a lot. When they go out and measure that kind of stuff they tend to forget that pine trees produce a ton of ozone. At one point the EPA had listed Shreveport and the rest of the Ark-La-Tex as being a very dangerous area, almost more polluted than LA, etc. It was a mess because they were ready to come in and start handing out fines, take away grants and all sorts of other nasty things. Finally, local scientists convinced them that it was natural ozone versus man made and therefore was ok.

Just my thoughts on the matter.