1. Default Best ( cheapest ) car hire company

hi. great site, just joined. planning a 7 week road trip next march ( i know its ages away,but in the middle of a RTW holiday and have to plan ahead )
    starting and finishing in San Fran.
    not sure of our route yet, hoping to see some national parks especially around Utah and Arizona and maybe a trip round the deep south.
    any advice on the above or cheapest car hire companies?

thanks in advance

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Shop Around

Welcome to the RTA forum!

From what I've seen, there's not a huge difference between the major car rental companies, so I always go with whoever has the lowest cost.

However, there is no one size fits all for the lowest rate. The companies tend to change their rates frequently, so the company with the lowest price today might not be the cheapest company tomorrow. Just shop around and if you find a rate you like, lock it in.

If you are looking for a place to start, you can check out the Travel Reservations section of this site.

Default Try Yahoo Travel

I did a cross country trip last fall. I travelled from San Francisco to New York. I have no car so I had to rent one. I used Yahoo Travel and I got a good deal. It'll give you lots of options and you pick the one that best suits you. Give it it a shot. Enter your info and see if it works for you. They give you the total, final price (including taxes and all the fees but excluding insurance--in case you're thinking about getting it).

I used Yahoo Travel but other services like Expedia or Orbitz et al might work just as well.