Default Indianapolis to Charleston SC during Labor Day

My hubby and I are planning a road trip from Indy to Charleston, SC during the week of Labor Day. We were planning on leaving Friday, August 31 and returning Saturday, September 8. We plan on spending about 3 days in Charleston, but other than that, have no idea what we want to do. My husband is from Sweden, so this is his first chance to see this part of the country. I thought about maybe going through Tennessee (Great Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park) on the way down, and maybe heading over to DC on the way home.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We enjoy hiking, any opportunities that provide for some great photography and just seeing new things. I've spent quite a bit of time in Charleston, so I'm pretty familiar with that area, but I'm open to any suggestions for activities/hotels in between. Thanks!

Tucson, AZ

Default Two Different Flavors

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

As you've laid it out, you have three days for the drive each way between Indianapolis and Charleston, and three days to visit Charleston. That makes for a very relaxed drive and you should have a great time. A few of the attractions you may want to consider on the leg that includes the]Great Smoky Mountains are Mammoth Cave and the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area. That would give this leg a decidedly 'natural' theme. For the transit that includes Washington, you'll have less time for other stops due to the added driving to get to DC, but you can still add some American history with stops in Williamsburg and Jamestown as well as the site of Washington's first command.