1. Default Coast to Coast Road Trip-With Dogs?

My husband and I are in the process of planning a 3 week roadtrip from NC to California. We are traveling with our SUV and travel trailer and also contemplating taking our two dogs. The dogs love to travel and have been on several road trips with us, however never for over a week. While we plan on checking with our veterinarian before ultimately deciding, I was wondering if anyone has traveled with pets that distance before?

Also was wondering the best route? We are currently thinking of taking 40 West and coming back along 70 East. We'd like to squeeze in as much as possible while trying to spend as much time as possible at the highlights of the trip. (Canyons, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, state parks, etc). Any advice is appreciated! Thanks so much!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default not 1st hand but

Welcome to the RTA forum!

I really don't think that you should have a problem with traveling with your dogs. If they travel well, and you've already taken them on trips up to a week long, I don't think you should have any extra difficulties taking them for an extra week. I'm not a dog owner, however, and I'm sure your vet will have better advice.

I-40 and I-70 are great routes, and will probably work well for you. Its hard to ever say what route is "best" but since you've only got 3 weeks, focusing on the Interstates for your cross country travel will probably be smart. Remember, you'll probably need at least 10 days just to drive to and from california (5 days each way), so you'll have about 11 days of pure exploration on a 3 week trip.

3. Default

I am new to RTA forum as well, however, I've traveled the country with my dogs several times in a SUV. As long as they had water and plenty of potty/ walk breaks, they did just fine. Never once did they ask, "are we there yet?"
    As advised, though, and not knowing your dogs, the Vet is a good resource.

East to West, I find route 70 boring.... flat, flat, flat until you hit Denver. Praire, mostly. 40 is more desert like from Arizona to eastern Oklahoma, but also flat. I personally love 80/ 90 because of the Black Hills and the topography of Wyoming is fascinating. For me, it depended upon whether I wanted speed or site seeing. The weather plays a factor as well.

Good luck on your trip.