1. Default 20 year old west road trip

Hi, a friend of mine and i want to go on a trip through colorado, Wyoming, Northern California, Oregon and Washington. We also only have 2 weeks and a couple days to do it. What would you say is the best way to do it. And if you know of a car rental that rents to 20 year olds so we can do this?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default for starters

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm not sure what you want to know when you are talking about the best way to do it. Are there any specific questions you have?

Also, where are you starting from? Are you flying in from someplace and then starting your roadtrip, or are you starting from elsewhere in the US?

Renting a car at age 20 will be very difficult. The only option that might be a possibility is to find a small, local, independant rental firm that will rent to people under age 21. It will likely be expensive, and you will certainly have to finish your trip at the same place you begin, which could force you to put some bigger limits on your destinations.

3. Default

Im flying into los angeles from new york. thats all i've been able to find in regards to car rental. I'd have to start and end in california. In those 15 days, what do you think the best way to most appreciate that trip from california - colorado - through wyoming to washington, through oregon and back down to california is?

Central California

Default Go Go Go

Doable? Yes, at about 250+ miles per day average...not terrible. I assume you've noticed that you also have to drive through the corner of Nevada, much of Utah and bits of Montana and Idaho to see the states you want to visit.

The most expedient route, and one that gives you many opportunities for great scenic stops, is I-15 through Las Vegas to I-70 through Colorado to Denver. From there, up I-25 to Casper, Wy, then Hwy 26 to the Grand Tetons and north into Yellowstone. From there Hwy 89 north to I-90, then west to Seattle. Do the loop around the Olympic Peninsula and down I-5 to Portland. From there over to the Oregon Coast and south on Hwy 1 to Eureka, CA. Take 101 to San Francisco, then I-5 to LA.

Along the way you can do side trips to Zion National Park, Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Colorado National Monument, Rocky Mountain National Park, Mt. Rainier National Park, Olympic National Park, Mt. St. Helens National Park, Redwood National Park, and Yosemite National Park. There is at least one alternate route, which is slower, but would add in the Grand Canyon and maybe substitute Mesa Verde National Park for Arches. Some folks will recommend taking Hwy 1 down the California coast from San Francisco, which is a great ride, but that puts Yosemite quite a distance out of your way. Your choice.

I suggest going to the library and checking out a photo book and and buying a travel guide to the national parks then spending a day or two seeing what looks good to you and your friend. I warn you: they are all terrific and choosing will be hard.

If you succeed in doing all that in two weeks, you'll have done something amazing - a Grand Tour of the American West.

Good luck finding a rental car. And keep in mind that gas will cost at least $600.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years