1. Default Planning California Coast Trip

My husband and I are considering a trip next month from San Francisco down to San Diego. I have a few questions:
    Would 10 days be enough to hit SF, LA, SD with shorter stops in Monterey, Big Sur and maybe Yosemite?
    Also- what is the average price of gas in the state?
    As for hotels - for budget but clean hotels, what is the average price? Where could we find out which are safe areas to stay in?

Thanks so much!

Tucson, AZ

Default Getting Started on Planning

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Some quick general answers - final planning and decisions are, of course, up to you. Ten days is enough to make the tour you'd like, but it will mean that a large portion of your time will be spent on the road getting from place to place. If that appeals to you then fine, but if you're envisioning actually spending a few days relaxing at each place along the way, then you'll have to rethink how ambitious you want to be.

You can look up the ever fluctuating (at this time of year that's a euphemism for rising) gas prices at GasBuddy.

A couple of years ago, I would have said that you can do very well for around $60/night on a nice, clean, quiet and well-appointed motel. But I just got back from a RoadTrip where $100 was closer to the norm. So for budgeting purposes, I'd say $75-100 if you make a concerted effort to keep costs down, but I would not be surprised at even higher prices given the places you're going to be visiting at the height of their tourist season.

3. Default

Thanks so much AZBuck.
    Your advice was very helpful.
    We are now thinking of starting in LA to SF, with shorter stops in Monterey, Yosemite, Big Sur. with 9 or 10 days. Is this too ambitious?
    What is the weather like in mid-August along the route?

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Foggy on the coast

Quote Originally Posted by Abby4 View Post
    What is the weather like in mid-August along the route?
    As the central valley of California bakes under the summer sun, the coast is kept cool and moist by a persistent fog bank. (The hotter the interior valleys get, the deeper the fog bank). So the Big Sur will be mostly foggy with the occassional break of sun. Elsewhere temps will be in the high 90's to low 100's.

Chicago Suburbs, IL

In San Diego I highly recommend driving the 59 mile scenic drive. We drove it this past January and it was absolutely gorgeous! It gave us views of San Diego and the coast we would not have gotten otherwise. The directions are all easy to follow as well except the very last few and most of the road signs are there.

We bought a map from a visitors center for 50 cents and it was the best 50 cents we spent in California!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-24-2007 at 09:56 PM. Reason: fixed the link (again)....