Default San Francisco, CA - Miami, FL in 3-4 weeks?

We have been reading this forum for a while and it appears that there are lots of really helpfull and experienced road trippers reading this forum.

We are getting married next summer and we plan on taking a road trip from SF to Miami. Our route will go through the following cities/areas: SF - LA - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon - Phoenix - Albuquerque - Dallas - Little Rock - Nashville - Atlanta - Savannah - Miami. We are not planning on staying in every major city on our trip. Some of the cities listed above are more like routemarks on our eastbound journey.

We would like to ask for your help to determine how much time do we need to comfortably travel across the great US of A. It is clear that one could spend a lifetime on that trip and the other might floor the pedal and drive through it in couple of days. Our plan is to use less trafficed roads and enjoy viewing "the smaller things in life".

Is it possible to make the trip and still make stops every once in a while? (We will not stay in one place for longer than a day or two).

If you have any suggestions that we should keep in mind while shaping our final roadmap, please feel free to inform us! :)

Thank you!

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default I want to meet that roadtripper!

Quote Originally Posted by A&M View Post
    We are getting married next summer and we plan on taking a road trip from SF to Miami.
    congratulations on the pending marriage and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    It is clear that one could spend a lifetime on that trip and the other might floor the pedal and drive through it in couple of days.
    I want to meet anyone who can drive from San Francisco to Miami in two days! Driving ten hours per day it would take someone slightly more than six days to make the trip. By the most direct highways along the route you specified above, it would be 3426 miles. If you, as is likely, wander a bit and see more of the countryside, the total mileage could easily exceed 4000 miles. If you were to limit your diving to a more reasonable pace (this is your honeymoon...) and plan to drive no more than 6 to 8 hours per day, this trip could easily take ten days...
    Is it possible to make the trip and still make stops every once in a while? (We will not stay in one place for longer than a day or two).
    Of course, and that is certainly what (nearly) everyone on this Forum would recommend. The real question is -- how do you want to spend those 3-4 weeks? The trip is certainly doable -- and you have plenty of time to do some planning!

3. Default

My best friend and I, two 21 year old English men are doing the exact reverse of this.. starting the 29th July, ONE WEEK AWAY!

We'd like to go a little higher, miami, heading to rock springs wyoming, through vegas to LA.

No plans other than we land in Miami on the 30th and on the 21st Aug we need to be in L.A.

Can we piggy back onto your thread? :)

we're taking a laptop hoping to get as much wifi in hotels as possible for finding hidden gems near where we're sleeping!

Tucson, AZ

Default Horse of a Different Color

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Actually, including Las Vegas and particularly Rock Springs makes this an entirely different trip. You'll be driving none of the same roads and seeing none of the same sights. With three full weeks to make your journey you'll have plenty of time to drive some of the lesser travelled roads and see some of the hidden gems you're looking for. You should probably do a fair bit of web searching before you end up on our shores so that you have a good idea of what's available to you. Yes continuing to search while on the road is a great way to add spontaneity, and most motels and even camp sites now have WiFi available, but you don't want to spend too big a chunk of your actual travels on planning. Another great source of info is state welcome centers on the main highways as you enter each new state, and also local information centers in the smaller towns. I just got back from the road myself where I got an object lesson in this at the Keokuk, Iowa visitor's bureau.

In any event, some of the major venues you should be looking at to anchor your trip are places like Savannah, GA; Atlanta and Stone Mountain; Great Smoky Mountains National Park; Mammoth Cave National Park; St. Louis, MO; Nebraska; Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area; Dinosaur National Monument; Bryce Canyon National Park; Zion National Park; Death Valley National Park; and Yosemite National Park - for starters!

Central California

Default Hi to both of you

If Mark is right about the mileage, and if you are serious about taking some of the less traveled (non-Interstate) highways, I'd say you need at least 2 weeks, and preferably 3 to get the most out of the route you have layed out.

This is the kind of trip that, once you determine the length of time, you can just through a big, thick USA travel guide or two in the car and go exploring. You'll have a rough idea of how many hours you need to drive each day, and from there you can just go where your nose leads you. Happy marriage, and have a great trip.

Looks to me like you could follow A&M's trip backward, heading north at Nashville, Little Rock or Oklahoma City, but I like the idea of continuing west and turning north in New Mexcio and winding your way up through Colorado to Rock Springs, WY and maybe on to Yellowstone. Then you can head south through Utah to get at least a glimpse of the many amazing national parks there before hitting Las Vegas. Three weeks may sound like a long time, but you'll fill it up fast.

Have a good one.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

6. Default

redCorral: yeah, thanks, this is kinda the route we have planned:

we're going to pretty much try to get to colorado in as quick a time as possible, and gently do the west side as thats where we've never been!