1. Default Going to a southern Western Washington Beaches

We live in Lake Stevens WA. We want to go to the beach in early August this year. We don't want to drive forever but want a real sandy beach. We have heard of Westport and Ocean Shores...just not too sure how easy it is to get to these beaches. We did not want to spend most of our time on ferries... Is there a beach you would recommend? Possibly a wonderful beach and easy to get to. A place we can spend our 38th anniversary? We will only have a weekend...will want to leave early Sat morning and return on Sunday eve. Thanks and cant wait to hear what you recommend.

Default Happy 38th to you!

Quote Originally Posted by deboone View Post
    We live in Lake Stevens WA. We want to go to the beach in early August this year.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Moderator Judy lives a stone's throw from Ocean Shores, so hopefully she will make a post on this thread in a day or so.

Mark

3. Default

Thanks I hope so too...

4. Default No ferries?

The Long Beach WA area has some really long sandy beaches. You don't need to take a ferry to get there, since you can take I-5 down past Olympia and then cut across the state on 8 and 12.

I've been through the area, and went to the annual kite festival at Long Beach one year, but don't know any real specifics. But the area has a LONG sandy beach.

I've also heard some good things about Cohassat area, but don't know anything in specific about it.

Default Hope this isn't too late to help you out!

We live in Lake Stevens WA. We want to go to the beach in early August this year. We don't want to drive forever but want a real sandy beach. We have heard of Westport and Ocean Shores...just not too sure how easy it is to get to these beaches. We did not want to spend most of our time on ferries... Is there a beach you would recommend? Possibly a wonderful beach and easy to get to. A place we can spend our 38th anniversary? We will only have a weekend...will want to leave early Sat morning and return on Sunday eve. Thanks and cant wait to hear what you recommend.
    Long Beach is a great area. It's about 4 hours/200 miles from you. If you take the route Larrison suggested, you'll go through Raymond/South Bend to Long Beach and this is a lovely drive. You'll be going through some beautiful farm country and wetlands.

Long Beach is a peninsula and it is aptly named. It's supposed to be one of the longest, continuous stretches of beach on the coast. Long Beach is a charming little town. There's a bakery downtown that's yummy. And you have to go to Marsh's. It's kind of like a mini-version of Ye Olde Curiousity Shoppe. There are some award-winning restaurants in the area. The names escape me they should be easy to find. Just ask around or pick up a free guide to the area.

Oysterville is a wonderful little spot (on the north end of the peninsula). You can see across Willapa Bay to South Bend. About 100 years ago there was a fight over who got to be the county seat between Oysterville and South Bend. South Bend was awarded this so the folks from Oysterville rowed over to South Bend in the black of night and stole the county records and took them back to Oysterville in order to try to steal the right to be the county seat. (Or something like that...details are hazy.) Funny.

Leadbetter Point at the northern tip of the peninsula is a wonderful wildlife refuge.

Ocean Shores is another option. It's a bit less far (about 170 miles) so the distance shouldn't be the deciding factor. To be honest, Ocean Shores is my least favorite beach area but that's where most of the hotels are so it's a good base. The drive north up 109 to the other beach communities and beaches would make a fun weekend. Each little town has its own personality and the beaches are quite different. One of my favorite stretches of beach is called Roosevelt Beach located about half-way between Copalis and Pacific Beach (you'll get to the bottom of a dip and the beach approach road is right there. You can drive on most of the beaches in this area so that can be a lot of fun and take you to places you probably wouldn't walk to due to distance. And the drive on the road itself is lovely. I especially like the areas where the trees are deformed from the constant winds from the ocean and have grown in a bent-over fashion.

Westport is nice, too. It's more of a fishing-based community with a marina. The beaches right in Westport aren't much but a short 15-minute drive south takes you to the start of many beach approaches. In Westport, Half Moon Bay is quite nice and takes you to a spot where you can straddle the bay on one side and the ocean on the other. It's fun to watch the surfers there. Again, most of these different areas bring you to beaches with quite different characteristics so it's fun to go to more than one beach. Grayland is a nice community. If you take any road/street that goes left through there, you will find yourself surrounded by cranberry bogs. They're interesting. If you go here, try to go as far south as Tokeland. The beaches here are amazing.

I hope this gives you some ideas. If you have a specific area that you want more information about, let us know and I'll try to pop in sooner and help you out more.

I can't recommend one over the other. All three are quite lovely with lots to see and do. You might want to get to them all eventually.

6. Default where is elephant rock?

I cannot find elephant rock. Where is it in Washington?

Default Unfortunately, it's not really accessible

Quote Originally Posted by voyagercarmenjim View Post
    I cannot find elephant rock. Where is it in Washington?
    Elephant Rock is north of Taholah on Quinault Indian Nation land. I've never been there because non-natives are not allowed on the beaches of the Quinault Nation without a permit. But I don't believe you can get a permit for the section that Elephant Rock is on. I think the only beach areas that you can get permits for are south of Taholah in the Pt. Grenville area. Pt. Grenville is an amazing stretch of beach. Beautiful with haystacks like you'll find at places like Ruby Beach. And one of the few areas of beach on the Washington Coast that does not have an undertow to worry about. It's a favorite of surfers, too, who will get permits to surf there. The number of permits given out are limited.

Back to Elephant Rock I believe you would need to hire a Native American guide to take you there. But I'm not aware of any active guide business that does this. And not sure that they will give you a permit anyway. I believe the hike is about 4 miles long but I could be mistaken on distance. I also don't think you can get there just by hiking up the beach. I think some of the distance is through the forest due to areas with no beach....or maybe it's just that you need to go at low-tide. I have no idea how strenuous it is.

You might want to give them a call and check into it. 360.276.8211 will get you to the receptionist for the administration. 360.276.4422 will get you the police who used to give out the permits. I don't know if they still do. It's been awhile since I've gotten one for Pt. Grenville.

If you get to visit Elephant Rock, please share your story and photos. It's a bit of a Holy Grail to us non-natives out here.