1. Default San Diego to Des Moines

I'm flying out to San Diego on July 26th and my boyfriend and I are road tripping back to Des Moines (He's getting out of the service). I'm in charge of finding things to see and visit on my way back. I haven't had much luck and came across this site.

The only time restriction is we have to be back by August 2nd. Any ideas where we could stop?

Default Ride the Train!

Quote Originally Posted by skj07 View Post
    I'm flying out to San Diego on July 26th and my boyfriend and I are road tripping back to Des Moines
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I'm in charge of finding things to see and visit on my way back. I haven't had much luck and came across this site.
    Um, let's see there are seven+ national parks and about 23 regional and state parks between San Diego and Des Moines, the continental divide, and probably 200 to 300 private attractions that I would characterize as "top flight". It would be helpful to know a little more about what you are looking for.

But as a couple of ideas to get you started: Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, Zion NP, Million Dollar Highway, Ride the Durango Steam Train, Rocky Mtn NP, etc.

Mark

3. Default Not to UT and NV Now

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    ... Zion ... Mark
    Hi Mark,

Zion was closed because of the fire.

I'm making my trip plan from Boston to San Diego (see my post "Driving from Boston to San Diego Late July")and suggest to avoid UT and NV becuase the both states are at "very high" risk or "extreme" risk of wildfire according to Fire Behavior Research's July 20 "Observed Fire Danger Class" map.

Frank

Default Not really!

Quote Originally Posted by lelefeng View Post
    Zion was closed because of the fire.
    Zion NP is still OPEN! Some of the back country is closed - but the highways are, indeed, still open.
    becuase the both states are at "very high" risk or "extreme" risk of wildfire
    You need to remember -- this is the west -- we always have extreme fire weather this time of year -- yes, conditions are bad -- but not all that different from any other year.

Mark