Thread: day trip in PA

1. Default day trip in PA

Hello!

This is my first long solo road trip, and ive been wanting/thinking about doing this for a long time. My only problem is....i dont know where to go!

A few criteria:
    -Must be in one day. Id like to start at 6-7am and finish out about 12at night.
    -Id like to go south.
    -Im a photographer, so the more old historic roads i can go on the better (better for photos!)

Im located in Pittsurgh Pa.

Help me pick a cool road trip!!!

thanks to all!

kevin

Default PA Roadtrip Idea...

Hello...

During a visit to Pittsburgh, I did a one-day roadtrip that worked well.

This hyperlink jumps into the middle of a slideshow of that one-day roadtrip using the great city of Pittsburgh as a hub.

I don't know how you feel about waterfalls, but if they interest you, check Ricketts Glen State Park. 22 waterfalls along 2 trails. It is probably worth checking water levels - I went in August, 2001 & although I got some Waterfall Photos they would have been nicer with a bit more water.

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vermilye View Post
    I don't know how you feel about waterfalls, but if they interest you, check Ricketts Glen State Park. 22 waterfalls along 2 trails. It is probably worth checking water levels - I went in August, 2001 & although I got some Waterfall Photos they would have been nicer with a bit more water.
    Ditto here too. Sunrise and sunsets are awesome, especially for pix.

Default Shenandoah Valley

Quote Originally Posted by thisiskevin View Post
    Help me pick a cool road trip!!!
    Kevin you can reach the Shenandoah Valley in about four hours -- there are lots of old historic roads in this area. Here is a field report filed by Moderator Tim. And then I would use US-33 to head back on a diagonal to Pittsburgh.

If trains appeal to you -- this is a very scenic spot -- Cass Scenic RR And continuing on that theme -- here are some more scenic byways in the hills of West Virginia.

Mark

6. Default

all great ideas guys and gals!

i like the Shenandoah Valley trip, as well as the Ricketts Glen State Park trip.

i was thinking of taking a drive down old Rt 40, the old washington highway. iver heard there are some scenic views, as well as it being a cool historical road.

but im still very open to ideas!

thanks again to all

Default Photos exploring

Hi,

As you probably know, the Laurel Highlands southeast of Pittsburg are great, with lots of hills, forests, towns and interesting roads. And one of the not-so-natural wonders of American Architecture, Fallingwater. Well worth the stop and you are free to photograph to your heart's content.

I don't know the area very well, but from the looks of the roads east of Bedford, PA, there must be some geat stuff over there.

As a photographer, you know that it isn't the distance traveled, it is the light, the mood, and your attitude that make a good photo trip. But, as a place to start, I look for roads that follow rivers or clearly have switchbacks. There are usually good photo ops in both environments. Finding historic towns shouldn't be a problem, the state is full of them. I remember driving through several on the way to and from Fallingwater.

I usually carry a short stepladder with me, and a pair of knee-high rubber boots. The ladder can get you a view over a hedge or wall, and the boots can protect you in all sorts of unpleasant environments, not just water.

Also take a notebook (or GPS) to make notes of places to go back to when the light is better. You think you'll remember, but you won't.

Have a great time, and please post some shots when you've done it.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years and some-time scenic photographer