1. Default 10 days, 4,500 miles, 5 friends, and 1 Yukon XL

A small selection of pictures can be viewed here.

And a review of various GPS devices used on the trip here.

I took roughly 4.5 GB's worth of photos with my dSLR, and those are only the ones that I skimmed over and resized.. It'll be a while before I have everything hosted on the internet.

Our route consisted of:

The Bunny Ranch
    Hotel Nevada
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Yellowstone
    Deadwood
    Mount Rushmore
    Independance Rock
    Pikes Peak
    Million Dollar Highway
    Cheyenne
    4 Corners

And a few other misc. stops along the way.

The entire trip was excellent, apart from whining from fellow passengers and the occassional cabin fever from being in a confined space for too long. But it was quite an interesting experience. We met a lot of interesting people, and a lot of weird ones.

Me and my friends learned that the free continental breakfast at our hotels was invaluable on a trip like this, which saved us from buying an additional meal each day.

Among other things, I know I'll definately be going back to Yellowstone in the future. That place is simply amazing and I could spend a good amount of time there exploring if I could.

I'll write more a bit later, I'm still a big groggy from this morning's boring commute to work.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-19-2007 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Preferred URL Format herein

Default Cool!

Wow -- that's quite some loop! Very interested to hear how you enjoyed the trip: if you were to do it again tomorrow would you slow down some or just 'go for it' as you did. I think I personally like the latter idea :)

I'm particularly interested on your experiences on the San Fran - Reno/Lake Tahoe - Salt Lake City - Yellowstone sector. How long did you take for this section and did you feel you'd missed out on anything? I'm pondering a trip that takes in this section next year - they tell me it's not possible to do it comfortably in the time I have but I can't help but keep revisting the idea in my head... :)

Right now I'm off to look at the photos...

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by UKCraig View Post
    Wow -- that's quite some loop! Very interested to hear how you enjoyed the trip: if you were to do it again tomorrow would you slow down some or just 'go for it' as you did. I think I personally like the latter idea :)

I'm particularly interested on your experiences on the San Fran - Reno/Lake Tahoe - Salt Lake City - Yellowstone sector. How long did you take for this section and did you feel you'd missed out on anything? I'm pondering a trip that takes in this section next year - they tell me it's not possible to do it comfortably in the time I have but I can't help but keep revisting the idea in my head... :)

Right now I'm off to look at the photos...
    We'd probably go for it as we did, and perhaps budget our time a little better. We spent a good amount of time in Utah hanging out with friends. Later on, we realized that set us back on time somewhat.

We drove past San Fran, Tahoe, and Reno the first leg of the trip. We left at approx. 2am and arrived Friday afternoon around 12 in Carson City. And it took us about a 1/2 day to get from Carson City to SLC Utah.

Since San Fran, Tahoe, and Reno are relatively close in driving distance, we didn't bother stopping, most of us had been to those places at least once and didn't feel too compelled to go back .

Another day's worth of driving brought us from Utah to a small city outside Yellowstone. If anything, I would have spent and budgeted more time for Yellowstone. There's also not much to see in Salt Lake City, save for the Mormon Temple and the salt flats. If I were you, I'd probably spend more time in San Fran (a big city in itself) and Tahoe. Reno is more of a desert city with a lot of gambling and such. IMO.

Next summer, once I finish my undergrad, I might do a cross-country trip if I can buy a new car.. Otherwise it's off to Europe like all the other graduates :)