1. Default Help plan trip from Indiana (west,south or both) 9 days

Wow. im glad I found this site. My wife and I are planning a road trip from Indiana. We would like to head west or south or south west. We are intense drivers so we cover a lot of ground each day and like to make fast stop destinations. We want to see as many picture perfect places as possible.

We both have been to Rushmore and the area around there, I have been to many locations in the west but not the northwest. There is one place we want to go for sure. Yellowstone park.

Does anyone have a possible destination list for us ?

Also, is there a hotel/motel chain that you can recommend or that would offer discounts for staying with them multiple time in a week? (or something like that)

We love to drive take pics and video. we just love adventure!

Thanks for any help
    Chris

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I think you've given yourself as good of a destination as any with Yellowstone Park. We generally recommend no more than 500 miles per day of driving time, in order to provide a comfortable pace without feeling rushed, and to still be able to sneak in those short side trips on the way. So, your trip to Yellowstone would be about 5-6 days of drive time, round-trip, and 3 or 4 days to explore the park.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I think you've given yourself as good of a destination as any with Yellowstone Park. We generally recommend no more than 500 miles per day of driving time, in order to provide a comfortable pace without feeling rushed, and to still be able to sneak in those short side trips on the way. So, your trip to Yellowstone would be about 5-6 days of drive time, round-trip, and 3 or 4 days to explore the park.
    Thanks! Thats what I was thinking, We are trying to figure out which side trips to spend a few hours here and there on. I have already taken the trip to Yellowstone, So I have seen most of them, but my wife hasn't. I am starting to wonder if we shouldn't shoot for another destination. That way we can both be sure to see new things for both.

Another concern is cost. We want to ruff it as much as we can, camping every other night instead of motels. We will be driving a honda civic that gets between 36 to 38 mpg.

We really love the type of travel were all you do is drive and see the side attractions. We have family that lives in Georgia and Wisconsin. So we take trips there often. Each trip is around 500 to 550 miles. So we are well adapt to 500 or so miles a day.

We might just skip Yellowstone and go for a lot of fast stops attractions and cover more ground.

I took a trip from Indy to TX to Las Vegas, and saw everything in between. It was really full feeling. I would like to do something like that but between the both of us we have seen a lot of thing in the western direction. We haven't seen the west coast and are exploring that possibility.

We are not to big on heading east right now, maybe later.

Thanks
    C

Default One Place You Haven't Been

You've listed a lot of places either you or your wife or both of you have been, and that you are looking for some places that would be new to both of you. Well the one direction that screams out to me is one you haven't even listed as a possibility and that is southeast. There are a number of sights along the way to the Outer Banks of North Carolina (and back) that would make for just the type of trip you describe. These include driving up the Ohio River, crossing the Appalachians on some truly gorgeous roads through West Virginia, seeing the charm and history of the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. On the way back you could stay a bit farther south and see the Great Smoky Mountains and Mammoth Cave. There are plenty of camping opportunities in both State and National Parks and forests, and plenty of free nature hikes in the many outposts of the National Wildlife Service.

AZBuck

5. Default

Thanks for the post. Now that you mention it. We really haven't looked into southeast. I love historical stuff. I think we will take a look at that as well.

What we really need is twice the time and twice the money so we can just go everywhere!

We really love road tripping.

Thanks again
    Chris

6. Default

We decided to go to YellowStone Park. We will stay there for about 2 to 3 days. Then if we have time, we will go to another location in a state near by.

Now I just need to figure out which camp ground in the park to stay at. Also which lake to fish... :)