1. Default First time roadtrip

Hello Everyone,

I just signed up on this forum and sincerely want to thank the people who set up this forum. It has been a real eye opener on various topics especially for people like me who are doing a long road trip for the first time and are real novices.
    I am moving from Reno, NV to Columbus, OH for a new job and instead of flying, thought of doing a road trip. The thought of it sounded really exciting but now that there's only a week before I start the road trip, I am feeling a little nervous. A lot of the general queries were answered reading through different threads on the forum, but would appreciate some guidance on some more specific ones:
    looking at the map, it seems like I could go through salt lake city, UT and then stay on I80 W most of the way. But then someone told me that it would be better if I go through Denver and then take I 70 W. Any suggestions on which would be a better route to take as far as gas stations and rest areas.
    What would be a good website where I could read about current weather conditions specific to highways. I haven't been able to read about weather conditions specifically through Wyoming, Kansas and northern Missouri at this time of the year. Heard from people about storms and stuff during this time of the year.
    Once again thanks for all the valuable information on this website and would really appreciate some guidance.

Regards,
    Andy

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Are you heading East or West? I-70W and I-80W implies that you are heading West, but the second paragraph seems to indicate you are traveling East.

Both of these Interstates offer plenty in the way of gas stations and lodging.

As far as weather, you can check the links on our weather pages. The Weather Channel also has a highway conditions page.

Interstate 70 offers some spectacular scenery, no matter which way you are headed.

Going via I-70 would take approximately 2400 miles, if you connect from I-15 South of Salt Lake City. This would mean a five-day trip to do it comfortably. I-80 wouldn't be too much shorter, though it could be a four-day trip.

Storms can occur anywhere at any time of the year. That's the one thing that you will need to keep your eye on, as well as the threat of wildfires, especially in areas such as Utah.

3. Default

Thanks a lot for your advise. Yeah, I messed up while typing. My wife and me are actually headed east and am planning a 6-8 day trip so that I do not have to stretch more than 400 miles everyday. I was planning to take I 80 E, then take I 25 S to Denver and then take I 70 E towards columbus through Kansas City, St. Louis and Indianapolis. Any suggestions for places which are worth checking out on the way. What would be good website to look for places to stay on these highways.

Thanks once again
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Are you heading East or West? I-70W and I-80W implies that you are heading West, but the second paragraph seems to indicate you are traveling East.

Both of these Interstates offer plenty in the way of gas stations and lodging.

As far as weather, you can check the links on our weather pages. The Weather Channel also has a highway conditions page.

Interstate 70 offers some spectacular scenery, no matter which way you are headed.

Going via I-70 would take approximately 2400 miles, if you connect from I-15 South of Salt Lake City. This would mean a five-day trip to do it comfortably. I-80 wouldn't be too much shorter, though it could be a four-day trip.

Storms can occur anywhere at any time of the year. That's the one thing that you will need to keep your eye on, as well as the threat of wildfires, especially in areas such as Utah.

4. Default West to east coast

As a continuation from my question about driving east from Reno, NV to Clumbus, OH, would like people's opinion of how much driving can be done in a day and what places would people recommend to stay (coz on the map, there seems to be stretches where there seems like no town exists.
    1. Is it reasonable that I drive from Reno to Salt Lake City (530 miles, 80E)in one day, Salt lake to Denver (536 miles) (via 80E and 25S) the next, then Denver to Salina or Topeka day via 70E (540 miles to Topeka), Topeka to Indianapolis (545 miles) the fourth day and then to columbus on the fifth day.
    or
    is this too ambitious!!! Should I break it into shorter drives. I am driving with my wife but I'll be the only driver. The reason I chose these cities was because they are bigger cities and won't be tough to find places to stay.

And incase, I get really fatigued, what could be some decent sized cities along 70 E (especially) in KS where I could stay. I have lived all my life on the west coast so dont have any clues about the mid west. Would appreciate the help.

Thanks

Default 500 miles

Quote Originally Posted by noviceatthis View Post
    how much driving can be done in a day
    We generally recommend that solo drivers limit driving to 500 miles per day. Here are some more comments on this.

Mark

Default Finding lodging

While it is generally easier to find lodging in the major cities, you will be surprised at how many smaller towns and cities that are along the Interstates that have lodging in them - some towns consist mostly of these types of facilities!

The mileage you have for each day sounds reasonable and is very close to the 500 mile recommendation.