1. Default Driving from Los Angeles to Portland

So I searched the forum and amazingly I did not find any info (other than ones with alot of detours) on this trip. Anyone have any ideas? Here are the specifics.....

I plan on driving 8 hours a day and taking 2 days to get from LA to Portland. I know, not a lot of time for sightseeing, buy my main goal is to just get to Portland. I would like to enjoy some scenic routes, but again, saving time is my main goal.

I would like to be able to spend an extra day around the beaches in Oregon. Could that be a part of driving to or from Portland?

I am driving alone with my 2 dogs. I plan on sleeping in my car (station wagon) preferably at a truck stop, so safe areas are important.

I am concerned about some passes and winding roads that I need to take. How bad are they really? Especially in the summer ( I was told there is still snow? really?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

Welcome to Road Trip America.

It's taken me 24 hours behind the wheel to reach Portland.
    That's driving time at the posted speeds.

Interesting stops are along the Calif/Oregon Coast, and it makes for cooler climate if you plan on napping in your vehicle.
    It can still be in the 100's deg. F. late at nite on many stretches of roads that offer rest stops, so you may consider a cooler route than inland.

Default Lots of Expertise here

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    I plan on driving 8 hours a day and taking 2 days to get from LA to Portland
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! What you are attempting to do is almost possible in 16 hours of driving. By the shortest possible route, (with no side-trips) it is 965 miles and if you travel at the posted speed limits (or slightly above) it will require about 17 hours (two days at 8-9 hours per day) .

Here are some ideas about some of preferred attractions on the way north:
    LA to Seattle (just look at the route south of Portland)
    Possible Beach stops between LA and SF
    Northern California and points north
    I would like to be able to spend an extra day around the beaches in Oregon. Could that be a part of driving to or from Portland?
    Seems reasonable
    I am driving alone with my 2 dogs. I plan on sleeping in my car (station wagon) preferably at a truck stop, so safe areas are important
    .Here are some more pet tips
    I am concerned about some passes and winding roads that I need to take. How bad are they really? Especially in the summer ( I was told there is still snow? really?)
    Somebody is pulling your leg -- you won't see any snow in the summer on I-5!

Mark