Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Default Buying a car in America

    Hello

    A friend and I have decided to go on a road trip. We thought we could leave this September, but unfortunately we have to postpone till Feb or Mar 08 due to money problems. We are thinking of buying a car, because if we rent, my friend will not be legally able to drive because he is only 20. So if we bought a car we wouldn't have that problem. The only problem then, is that we need to register to an address in America, and we don't really know anyone who can help us. So I thought it couldn't hurt to ask here! Of course, everything would be in my name, and naturally we will pay for it all, we just need an address! I know a couple of guys over there right now, who are doing the same thing. Apparently, the people who live at the address don't even recieve any letters or anything. So if anyone would help, it would be greatly appreciated.

    Rune
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-18-2007 at 10:32 AM. Reason: added the link to the other thread

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    10,059

    Default Be careful

    Quote Originally Posted by runejoe View Post
    I know a couple of guys over there right now, who are doing the same thing. Apparently, the people who live at the address don't even recieve any letters or anything. So if anyone would help, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Rune, I am sorry but this sounds like fraud. It is doubtful you will find much help with this here. And in any case, not a good idea for you.

    mark

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Green County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,063

    Default mail

    I don't know where you heard that no mail gets sent to the address, but thats generally incorrect.

    Often the title and registration (which you will need to resell the car) are mailed out after being processed by the state. You'll also likely have things mailed to you by your insurance company.

    The only thing I could suggest is going with a private mailbox company, which is a pretty grey area legally as it is, and rent an address for the duration of your trip.

    I will also say that if you are having money issues, buying a car could eat up a much larger chunk of your budget than you might expect, especially when you talk about taxes and other fees.

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Rune, I am sorry but this sounds like fraud. It is doubtful you will find much help with this here. And in any case, not a good idea for you.

    mark
    How do you mean fraud? They are using one of the guys' grandma's address, I don't quite understand what you mean?

    I guess it would be much easier just renting a car. The costs, insurance, all that, and not having to worry about selling it again. But the guy I will be travelling with will only be 20 at the time, so he can't legally drive, and if he does, and gets into an accident, he won't be insured, and then we would be screwed, and propably sued.... :-( 10.000 miles is a lot for 1 person to drive...!

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I don't know where you heard that no mail gets sent to the address, but thats generally incorrect.

    Often the title and registration (which you will need to resell the car) are mailed out after being processed by the state. You'll also likely have things mailed to you by your insurance company.

    The only thing I could suggest is going with a private mailbox company, which is a pretty grey area legally as it is, and rent an address for the duration of your trip.

    I will also say that if you are having money issues, buying a car could eat up a much larger chunk of your budget than you might expect, especially when you talk about taxes and other fees.

    So if you rented a mailbox, like at http://maillinkplus.com, it would be possible to buy a car? Even though it's not a "real" address?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    378

    Default RVers do it

    Hi,

    The issue of registering and insuring a car when all you have is a mailbox/mail service isn't that unsual. Folks who live in their RVs and travel constantly do it all the time. It is easier to do in some states than others, and the cost of registration and insurance is dramatically different from state to state. Consequently, a little research on RV websites/forums will probably turn up which are the good states to do this in. I've been out of the loop long enough to not know any more.

    The Escapees website might be a good place to start.

    Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

Similar Threads

  1. Buying a car in South America
    By Virginie in forum Off-Shore Roadtrips
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-23-2012, 07:31 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2007, 01:00 PM
  3. NY to LA buying a Mustang
    By Aussietripper in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 03:48 PM
  4. Renting or Buying
    By shrek_2226 in forum Gear-Up!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-27-2005, 08:58 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name

    Loading...



  • MORE STORIES