1. Default not an average trip

I couldn't believe there was a forum for this, this is my first post, etc.. Unlike most people taking trips, I'm not doing mine for pleasure. I'm getting stationed in Alaska, and opted to drive cross country. I'm going alone and on a 9 day limit. I'll leave from mid-Virgina and work my way to Bellingham, Washington. I'm 21, and not really into the average sight seeing, but I've lived on the east coast my whole life, so I'd like to visit a few spots on the way. If any one know a few hot spots for the younger crowd along the way, I'd apprecheate it.

-Coastie

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

As a general rule, a cross-country trip takes about five days to do in a comfortable amount of time. There are many different reasons to take a road trip, and though your primary purpose here is not pleasure, I think you will be able to have a good time on this trip.

What is your idea of a "hot spot"? I can think of a few vibrant cities that you could put on your route, if that's what you're talking about - Chicago, Denver, Seattle, Salt Lake City to name a few.

3. Default

thanks for the reply, I'm looking for a good picture or two, but I'm more interested in culture and interacting with people. So I guess cities with night life, or something that could become a great story.

Default Two others

Hi, Solo trips are fun, but it is good to work in some human interaction along the way. Memphis and Nashville definately quailfy as places with nightlife. It helps to like Country, R&B and Blues music, which should be no problem for a red-blooded American guy.

I second the vote for Chicago, and I'm curious to know about the night-life in Salt Lake City. I've been there several times and like the town, but never went out to party. Thinking about it, Park City (east of Salt Lake where the Olympics were, might be a fun place). Resort towns like Eureka Springs, AR, Aspen, Vail and Steamboat Springs in Colorado, and Jackson, WY and Squaw Valley, ID might also be good. And who knows, you might just find some above average sight seeing along the way.

And have a great time in Alaska. Talk about above average sight seeing!! Take a plane ride over a glacier, or better yet, around Denali. That will get your heart pumping.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

5. Default places to stay on my road trip

Hey guys, once again thanks for the awesome opertunity to be able to post questions like these. I'm beginning my crosscountry trip to Alaska today and was wondering if the site, and or members had a favorite hotel to stay at.

-Coastie

Default Holiday Inn Express

Quote Originally Posted by coastie View Post
    ... and was wondering if the site, and or members had a favorite hotel to stay at.
    I like the mix of amenities that Holiday Inn Express offers: comfortable beds, great showers, good breakfast, high-speed internet and (usually) easy to find in most towns.

Mark

Default Hotels

I like the Holiday Inn Expresses as well as Best Westerns - both have been quite good to me when I've decided not to camp.

Both have had showers with good pressure, comfortable beds, and clean facilities, as well as quiet rooms well insulated from the noises of the outside world.

Default Hotels and Such

Seeing as the Coastie is 21, I'm going to bet that Holiday Inn Expresses are out of his budget range. I know their out of mine. I stayed at Super 8 motels almost my entire trip this year. They're usually easy to find, often seemed to be the only decent looking hotel in many small towns, fairly inexpensive, clean and (big deal for a female travelling alone) constructed so that the doors faced in towards a hallway. I never had a problem.

Laura

Default Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by lhuff View Post
    I'm going to bet that Holiday Inn Expresses are out of his budget range. I know their out of mine. I stayed at Super 8 motels almost my entire trip this year.
    On occasion, I have stated at Super 8s, (mostly when I couldn't find a Holiday Inn Express), it seemed to me that the cost was virtually the same when you factor in the breakfast?

Mark

Default Yep

It was usually a lot cheaper at the Super 8s and they served some breakfast. I'm not a big breakfast eater, so that's not something I really look at.

Some of the Super 8s were more expensive than other brands, but on the whole I had really good luck with them on the trip. Usually they were the only hotel in a lot of little towns when I was travelling up Highway 71.

Laura