Thread: Oregon to Iowa

Default Oregon to Iowa

Greetings all! Been lurking around the past few weeks and thought I'd jump in for an inquiry.

The little lady, the hound, and I will be taking a trip from Medford, OR to Des Moines, IA in the near future. I have been on numerous trips (solo) in varying parts of the U.S., but am now seeing a gap in information I seek. Consider that when I travel solo, amenities tend to be minimal and schedule/route strict. However, so as not to incur the wrath of woman, I should up the amenity requirements and loosen the schedule a bit.

The trip is just short of 1900 miles. I figure 600~ miles a day, two fuel stops per day (45 min ea), two rest stops per day (45 min ea), and all this across 3 days during daylight hours. This is my idea of a reasonable schedule. Yeah, yeah... I know, anal-retentive issues. :) There is room for improvement, but only up to a total of 5 days. Gotta get back to work ya know. ;)

So my inquiry is primarily in two areas... pet-friendly hotels and route. I don't see many definitive resources on pet-friendly accommodations. Sure, google pulls up a bit, but then it's a crap shoot whether it's even a decent place for a reasonable price. Any thoughts or leads into this?

As for route, I'm not sure whether to take the I-5 - CA-89 - CA-44 - US-395 route to hit I-80 or the OR-140 - NV-140 - US-95 route to hit I-80. Any suggestions? Is one route safer than the other? As for I-80 to finish, I imagine we'll try to take some scenic side roads. Any suggestions on what we should check out would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Default Most major chains ARE pet-friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Tabibito View Post
    Greetings all! Been lurking around the past few weeks and thought I'd jump in for an inquiry.
    It is always nice when a lurker jumps in -- so welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    The little lady, the hound, and I will be taking a trip from Medford, OR to Des Moines, IA in the near future.
    Here are some tips about traveling with a hound... the reality is that most motels chains are far more appreciative of visiting dogs than their humans...
    The trip is just short of 1900 miles. I figure 600~ miles a day, two fuel stops per day (45 min ea), two rest stops per day (45 min ea), and all this across 3 days during daylight hours.
    Well, that would entail about 11 hours of travel for each of those three days -- will the hound and your other companion go for that much togetherness?
    Sure, google pulls up a bit, but then it's a crap shoot whether it's even a decent place for a reasonable price. Any thoughts or leads into this?
    Just about every place I have wanted to stay in the last five years, accepts and welcomes pets with open arms....
    As for route, I'm not sure whether to take the I-5 - CA-89 - CA-44 - US-395 route to hit I-80 or the OR-140 - NV-140 - US-95 route to hit I-80. Any suggestions? Is one route safer than the other?
    They are both reasonable routes. The CA-89 route has slightly larger highways (and more traffic) so I would think they are about a push. The route through Lakeview is a hop-skip-&-jump from a darn nice hot springs at Summer Lake....

Here are some ideas of places to stop along I-80 as you head east.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Editor
    It is always nice when a lurker jumps in -- so welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Thanks!
    Well, that would entail about 11 hours of travel for each of those three days -- will the hound and your other companion go for that much togetherness?
    Hahah... not too sure yet, hence the flexibility I'll be considering.
    Just about every place I have wanted to stay in the last five years, accepts and welcomes pets with open arms....
    Good to know, hoping it holds true for us. And I have read through quite a few articles here, including the pet one. So am even more prepared now. :)
    They are both reasonable routes. The CA-89 route has slightly larger highways (and more traffic) so I would think they are about a push. The route through Lakeview is a hop-skip-&-jump from a darn nice hot springs at Summer Lake....

Here are some ideas of places to stop along I-80 as you head east.

Mark
    Thanks, the sites will go well for stress relief.