1. Default Traveling With Small Children - Safety

Hello, I previously posted about an appropriate route to take on a forthcoming trip, here, and the advice was great, so I thought I'd hit you guys up again.

I will be traveling from the midwest to CA in a 22' rental truck, towing my car, and I will be traveling with my two children, ages 6 and 7. I am being told left and right that it is safe AND legal to put them both in the middle seat belt. Can anyone here verify this information for me? I'd hate to get ticketed when I stop at the weigh stations... >.<

Otherwise, what is the appropriate (legal) way to travel in a rental truck with two children? I have also heard that there are laws whose language is such that it is legal for a child to ride WITHOUT a restraint if one is not available (really?!). Any help or advice would be helpful, thanks much!!

Todd

Default I think that is illegal in any state!

Quote Originally Posted by PureSlacker View Post
    I will be traveling from the midwest to CA in a 22' rental truck, towing my car, and I will be traveling with my two children, ages 6 and 7. I am being told left and right that it is safe AND legal to put them both in the middle seat belt.
    Todd, I believe that will be illegal in any state.

Mark

3. Default Check out the internet for government regulations

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PureSlacker View Post
    I have also heard that there are laws whose language is such that it is legal for a child to ride WITHOUT a restraint if one is not available (really?!)
    I don't know about all states, but that IS the law in North Carolina. If, for example, you had an antique car from the 50s or 60s and it didn't have seat belts, it would be perfectly legal for you to transport your child in that car without any type of safety restraint. Or if you have a car (like mine) that has only four seat belts, yet you need to transport five people, it is legal to allow one to go without a seat belt.

Of course, this doesn't hold up to COMMON SENSE. Regardless of the law, every child needs a proper seat belt (or car seat for smaller children) every single time he or she is in a car! Forget the law, and do what's right.