1. Default Oregon Roadtrip from San Diego

We are about to take our first longer roadtrip in a 22' Sprinter Van. We are heading up to Oregon and will visit Ashland, Bend and drive the coast from Newport down to Brookings. Our trip is planned around golf in many stops.

I have two questions for those of you who are familiar with Oregon and California. Driving from Bend to Newport, is Rte 20 the best way to go all the way or is there a better road? One mapping plan suggested going up to Rte 22 and then coming down 101.

Returning from Brookings to San Diego, we have planned to do 199 to Grants Pass and then the 5 back to San Diego. Having been gone 2 weeks+ at that point, we are looking for the fastest/easiest route and are willing to compromise on the scenic aspects. Some mapping options have suggested taking 101 down to 299 but I am wary of 299. Another map suggested 101 all the way to 580. Any advice on which option might be the best would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Default Golfing RoadTrip!

Quote Originally Posted by delmar View Post
    We are heading up to Oregon and will visit Ashland, Bend and drive the coast from Newport down to Brookings. Our trip is planned around golf in many stops.
    That sounds like a truly lovely trip -- Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Combining gorgeous parks with the natural beauty of the coast.
    I have two questions for those of you who are familiar with Oregon and California. Driving from Bend to Newport, is Rte 20 the best way to go all the way or is there a better road? One mapping plan suggested going up to Rte 22 and then coming down 101.
    The route using OR-22 and then US-101 might be marginally faster than US-20 -- but it add dozens of extra miles and US-20 is a nice road, a bit winding, but still fine.
    Returning from Brookings to San Diego, we have planned to do 199 to Grants Pass and then the 5 back to San Diego.
    I really like CA-299 and I am not a fan of any section of US-199 (the road is too narrow for the truck traffic), plus you go out of your way when you go back north on the US-199...

If you stay on US-101, you will pass through Redwood NP on the way to Eureka and then can follow CA-299 to I-5 at Redding. This is the route I would go! CA-299 is mostly a two-lane highway, but there are sections of three and four lanes. There is one spot where the road has been sliding for about 30 years (a full-employment project for the local construction companies) but I have never been delayed more than about 15 minutes in this area and the scenic views are outstanding.

Mark

3. Default 299?

I'll confess I have better memories and thoughts of 199 instead of CA-299, Mark.

From a speed standpoint I'd say its a toss up, even including the slight northerly hook back on 199 to I-5 at Grants Pass. Starting in the Crescent City area, it'd be a toss up.

And definitely 299 is more scenic --

But my personal opinion tends to 199. Why? Well, the road to me has always seemed less twisty than 299 -- once you get up over the Oregon border, the road gets down into a valley and straightens out. There are a couple of good wineries along the way, and if you have the time, its a blast to pull out to Oregon Caves for a detour. It's a fairly easy drive from Crescent City through the redwoods on Howland Hill road to Grants Pass to Redding for the night. Plus you get to go by Mt Shasta on the way.

299 is scenic -- but not a lot along the road until you get to Redding.

Now, if coming back via 199 means you miss the southerly section of redwoods -- down through Patricks Point/ Eureka -- Take the 299! But if you've been through them, I'd take the 199....

The computer (www.maps.msn.com) says the difference between the two routes is like 15 minutes ... (Crescent City to Willows via the 2 routes)

4. Default Great Oregon Trip

Thanks for the advice on our Oregon Trip planning. We had a fantastic trip, two weeks of beautiful weather - only 1 overcast day and no rain.

We did take Rte 20 from Bend to the Coast and it worked out fine although it does live up to its official name of "Over the Hills and Through the Woods" scenic road. Despite lots of curves and hills, it is well marked and moved along pretty well.

Coming home, we decided to avoid the 5 even longer and stayed on the 101 through the Redwoods to Rte 20 around Clear Lake. Although the trip took a bit longer, it was much more enjoyable.

We found I5 to be pretty tedious through most of California and hit some dust storms and poor road surfaces along part of it. For future reference, I'm curious as to whether taking the 199 would be any better - either in road conditions or scenic value?

Thanks again for the advice.