1. Default 22 Day Road Trip!

Iam wondering if someone know a chap hostel or motel-chain, that exists in the whole USA?
    I need too have somewere to stay for most 35$ a night.
    Excuse the bad english.

Default Hi/6

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There is no real chain of hostels, although Hosteling International is a loose association of hostels from around the world. You'll typically find that they cost about $20-25 per night per person in shared rooms. Parking can be limited since many of them are located in the heart of cities.

The cheapest motel chain in the US is Motel 6. They are about as low frills as you can get, typically a room with a bed, a shower, and a tv. Don't expect a continental breakfast or internet service or anything else. Their base rate for a single is usually around $40, although it can be more or less depending upon the exact location, and taxes can easily add another 10% to the cost of a room.

3. Default My Roadtrip!

Me and my brother are planning a 22-days long roadtrip in USA in august. We are both from Sweden.
    We are planning to drive from New York City to San Francisco.
    Coast to coast.
    We are planning to stay overnight in hostels, motewls and other cheap hotels on the way. This overnights may cost most 30$ per person.
    We are planning to only eat one cooked meal per day, and eat bread, fruit and youghurt for the rest of the meals.

Flight ticket and car rent will we fix here in Sweden. The things we will need to buy in USA is gas, food, overnights and some shopping.
    For this we are planning to buy 3542$ in our local bank.
    Do you think that sounds realistic?

The way we will drive can you find here (Please take a look on it nad tell me what you think about it):

Anyone know if it will be problem with overnight in Yosemite Park, Death Valley, GRand Canyon, etc?
    The car we are gonna rent is a Kia Rio. I have readed some rewievs about it, that says that it consumes at most 1 litre gas per ten kilometers (about 6,3 miles). Does that make sense?

Any ideas about our trip?
    Will 3542$ be enough? We are ready to risk our shopping money and/or sleep in the car for maybe 1-2 nihts.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-17-2007 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Preferred URL Format herein

Default Budget seems a little low

Quote Originally Posted by Gavling View Post
    Me and my brother are planning a 22-days long roadtrip in USA in august.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I have lots of cousins in Sweden...
    We are planning to drive from New York City to San Francisco.Coast to coast.
    In addition, to the Interstate highway route you have chosen, you might also consider adding some two-lane highway to the mix. An excellent guide is this one about traveling along the historic Lincoln Highway from coast to coast!
    We are planning to stay overnight in hostels, motewls and other cheap hotels on the way. This overnights may cost most 30$ per person.
    That is going to be very tricky to find. You would be better to budget $60 to $90 USD for lodging. Here are some more tips about making a reasonable budget for roadtrips.
    We are planning to only eat one cooked meal per day, and eat bread, fruit and youghurt for the rest of the meals.
    That might work -- here are some more tips about eating healthy food on the road.
    For this we are planning to buy 3542$ in our local bank.
    Do you think that sounds realistic?
    That might be enough. But I would keep $1000 in reserve if you can.

Mark