Thread: California

1. Default California

I'm in the very early stages of planning a roadtrip from Spokane, WA to San Diego. I was just wondering if there are any places in Oregon/California that I must must must stop at? I've never been to California, so I'm really excited! Time is not an issue, but money is - so nothing super expensive. Also I'm only 20 so no bars...

Any suggestions would really help - also I'd like to know if there are certain places that really don't live up to the hype. It's roundtrip so on the way down I mostly want to stick to the coast, but I'm also interested in the National Parks - so I figuerd on the way back I could drive through the middle of the state more.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Central California

Default Easy

Hi, You've made yourself an easy target. It will be just as hard to choose after you get everyone's recommendations as it was before!

There are the obvious must sees such as Crater Lake, OR, Yosemite NP, CA, Sequoia NP, CA, Death Valley NP, CA, Mt. St. Helens NVM, WA, Redwood NP, CA. But there are lots of interesting, lesser known places as well.

Some of our favorites are Steens Mountain southeast Oregon, The 3 John Day Units in central Oregon, The Oregon Trail Interpretive Center in Baker City, OR, Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood, OR, Purisima Mission in Lompoc, CA, the towns of Ferndale, Nevada City, Sutter Creek and Columbia, CA, Bodie Ghost Town, CA, Getty Art Museum, in Los Angeles and lots of other places depending on time of year and level of interest.

Those are just the first few that come to mind. I'm sure others will have lots to add. Driving down the coast, you will just automatically stumble across all sorts of fun places, but you probably need reservations at Hearst Castle in San Simeon, CA.

I'll stop now before I hurt myself. When do you plan on taking this time-unlimited trip?

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

3. Default

Thanks, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll be taking this trip the summer before I head off to college.

Anyone else have any favorite places? It would help if you could maybe give a little explaination of it (like cute little town, great camp site, etc.) and maybe the approx. price.

4. Default What are you interested in?

Before we start listing places we think you might like... what are you interested in?

Cultural important places?
    People & towns?
    Sporting & outdoor activities?
    Fine Food?
    Funk & Oddity?
    Music & Entertainment?

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

Monterey Bay and the excellent aquarium is our favorite mid-California.

If you're tenting it, the cooler climate along the coast may be more suitable.

Hy 49 South takes you through Californias beautiful Gold Country, and more camping sites.

Hostels are available too.