1. Default Toronto, Ontario, Canada to San Fransisco, California, USA

Hi group! THis is a great website indeed! Perhaps you could offer me some tips on a trip from Toronto to San Fransisco - I'll be leaving in September with a trailer hauling a few belongs to start a new job. "Go west, young man!" and all that. Anyway - any tips on making the trip somewhat comfortable? I don't have alot of money and want to stop once a night by or before dark to sleep. I'm getting too old for the all-nighter drives I used to do with my buddies. Motels are going to be the way to go, I think. I love camping but I want to be rested. How would you break up the trip? What are some decent places to stop for the night? All and any advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    CaliforniaEAB

Default A Time-honored Tradition

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaEAB View Post
    Perhaps you could offer me some tips on a trip from Toronto to San Fransisco - I'll be leaving in September with a trailer hauling a few belongs to start a new job.
    congratulations on the new job and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I don't have alot of money and want to stop once a night by or before dark to sleep.
    That is certainly reasonable -- I am a motel roadtripper, but Moderator Judy is a big proponent for spending most of the nights out at campsites -- for a solo traveler, it can save some money and give you a reason to work out the kinks of driving all day (setting up the tent and cooking dinner). I would also suggest you read these tips -- even though your pace sounds reasonable -- the tips can be very helpful when moving solo across the continent.

By the most direct route, it is about 2600 miles and I would allow a minimum of four days to cover it. Mostly it is a straight shot on I-80. That first day, hopefully you will be able to start rested... you can shoot for Davenport, Iowa, the second night you can expect to reach around Ogallala, Nebraska. You don't really have time for sightseeing, but this thread may well whet your appetite.... and then night three -- around Salt Lake City and then on down to San Francisco.

Here are some ideas for camping and stretching your legs along I-80

Happy Planning!

Mark

3. Default

THanks for getting back to me so quick! I'll have a look at those links. I was looking on Google Earth and chopping up the trip a bit - what are the opinions on Toronto to Coralville, Iowa then onto Laramie, Wyoming then...I'm not sure - maybe I'll need a rest as those are long days - maybe too long, eh?

Cheers,
    CaliforniaEAB