1. Default Me and my girlfriend, Cross country road trip. $2000 and a month for time. Possible?

We were wondering if we'd need more money. we want to see it all! which i'm starting to think is going to be a little bit to much and maybe we should just do like one half and then the other half next year or something. What do you all think?

Default Need twice as much money

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Wolfgang View Post
    We were wondering if we'd need more money. we want to see it all!
    See all of the United States in a month? I have been exploring the USA for most of the last thirty years and I have only seen about 1/4 of it. I have driven nearly 500,000 miles thus far, so I think you may have overestimated how much of the country you can cover. It is possible to drive to every one of the lower 48 states in a month, but trying to "see it all"? Impossible. Here is some basic information about budgeting for a road trip -- but for a month's trip for two people, you will need at least $4000.00 (if you are renting a car, staying at nice places, having fun, etc.)

Mark

3. Default

thanks!

basically the main places we want to go are.
    Staring from phoenix;
    San fransisco
    redwood forest
    oregon (wherever)
    seattle
    through idaho and montana to get to Yellowstone
    then from there we dont really know, we would eventually make our way to ny and connecticut.
    then come back and go through colorado - estes park and then
    down to the white sands in alamagordo.
    im thinking we could just skip the whole east coast half for now and stop at yellowstone then do colorado.
    Do you think this more rational? Cause it'd still be amazing

Default What time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Wolfgang View Post
    basically the main places we want to go are.
    Staring from phoenix;
    San fransisco
    redwood forest
    oregon (wherever)
    seattle
    through idaho and montana to get to Yellowstone
    then from there we dont really know, we would eventually make our way to ny and connecticut.
    If you limit your trip to states west of the Mississippi River (drop NY and CT) you can probably fit it into a month. But it takes five full days of driving to go cross country and so going to NY and back is going to take two full weeks. You won't have time to see the other places you have listed if you do that.

What time of year are you planning this trip? You might think about the type of road trip you want -- take a look at our profiles section.

It will be an amazing trip, no matter what you decide, but you are talking about thousands of miles and hundreds of hours sitting in the car -- so choose wisely.

Mark

5. Default

most likely in late june/early july

6. Default

The fact that it's just you & your girlfriend makes is harder - because that is fewer people to drive. Still, you should be able to see everything in the western states in two weeks - but I'm talking arrive, see it, snap a photo, and leave. As with any trip, you have to choose your battles - choose your destinations based on what you want to see, not what you think you have to see.

Cost reduction ideas:
    Sleep in car (in wal-mart parking lots)
    Drive all night between sights
    Shower at parks during the day for free
    Buy food at grocery stores and prepare it yourself.

7. Default

This is only $500/week or $71/day for the two of you! It's not nearly enough. You could only do this if you slept in the car (or camped for free) every night . . . plus you'd need to plan to eat sandwiches from your cooler for most meals . . . plus you'd be able to pay for very few activities.

I'd suggest that you either add to your budget (even if it means postponing the trip) or shorten the trip.