Default San Francisco to Seattle to Montana

Hi,
    My husband and I will be flying into San Francisco December 10th and driving up the coast to Seattle, then across to Hamilton Montana by the 18th of December. After visiting friends in Montana, we will be driving back to Boise, Idaho for Christmas with family and driving on to Las Vegas after xmas and then back to SF for New Years.
    We will be hiring a SUV in case the roads get bad, but as we have never driven in snow or ice (we're from sunny Queensland, Australia) I am wondering if we are likely to experience any road closures or major problems if we stick to the main interstates and roads for our journey?
    Any suggestions would be welcome. We probably wouldn't be doing things in this order or at this time of year but a friend is getting married in vegas on Dec 28th (which is why I have such a random order of events).

Thank you in advance.
    Laura

Default Las Vegas for New Years is a better choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Manta View Post
    After visiting friends in Montana, we will be driving back to Boise, Idaho for Christmas with family and driving on to Las Vegas after xmas and then back to SF for New Years.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Yep, that is a serious zig-zag route! Actually, if you can arrange it, Las Vegas is a great place to experience New Years -- the famous LV Strip is closed to all vehicles (except emergency) and becomes a huge block party with lots of fireworks and parties galore!
    We will be hiring a SUV in case the roads get bad, but as we have never driven in snow or ice
    You might be much better off, to rent a front-wheel drive sedan -- better traction than nearly all SUVs unless you are familiar with using 4-WD. In any case, you ought to read these tips for Winter Weather Driving!
    I am wondering if we are likely to experience any road closures or major problems if we stick to the main interstates and roads for our journey?
    It is certainly possible that you might have some short-term closures as you make your way east from Seattle to Hamilton, Montana and then on down towards Boise. That is a lot of miles -- Boise to Las Vegas to San Francisco all in one week! Are you sure, you really want to do all of that?

Mark

Hi Mark, Thanks for the advice. You're right, its quite a trip!
    I would certainly prefer to stay in Las Vegas for New Years but as our friends are going to SF we feel obligated to head in that direction. We were considering leaving the car in Boise, ID and fly to Vegas which would take some time off the road but the fee we will pay to leave the car in Idaho instead of returning it to SF is more than we would pay for tickets. We might cut our trip a bit short and head from SF to Eugene, OR then across to Boise if the roads are bad the week we arrive. I guess we are a bit reliant on the weather gods at that time of year so will just have to keep an eye on the road closures.
    Cheers,
    Laura