Default Avenue of the Giants vs. Redwood Natl. Park

All,

You may recall that I recently posted about the "vintage car trip." I am leaving 25 July and working out the final details of my trip.

Today's thoughts have turned to the trip from Yosemite to Portland, Oregon. I don't have very much time to make this trip, so I'm tempted to go straight up Interstate 5 and just be done with the driving, but I want to have a side-trip option in case I'm up for it.

I've been to Avenue of the Giants (ran a marathon there once), and it was outstanding. Redwood National Park is farther north and along the coast, and I've never been there.

Can anyone recommend which I should visit? It would be only a side-trip, although I might pick one of the locales to spend the night (camp).

Thanks for any advice!

-Matt

Default Redwood Groves and Mountain Views

Quote Originally Posted by mattboyd View Post
    I've been to Avenue of the Giants (ran a marathon there once), and it was outstanding. Redwood National Park is farther north and along the coast, and I've never been there.
    I would go for the NP -- it is truly amazing. And I would also suggest taking this side trip -- not many folks drive it, it is very, very cool. Along the Newton-Drury Parkway and then down the Coastal Drive!
    From a post by Larrison:
    A couple of interesting places to visit
    -- Redwoods National Park -- Visited Lady Bird grove, and took 1 mile loop trail. Very pretty. Very large trees...
    -- Redwoods National Park Gold Beach -- via a rather bumpy 7 mile dirt road. Saw a couple of sedans turn back, but lots of them made it to the end. There were numerous Roosevelt Elk along the road in several places.
    Down at the end of the road is Fern Gully. Very interesting and scenic.
    -- Scenic drive through Elk Prairie State Park -- very scenic, but its a pretty fast and moderately busy drive.

Mark

Default Mark's got it right

Howdy,

If you've been through the Avenue of the Giants, you might as well see the rest. The Lady Bird Grove is lovely, and Prairie Creek is great, especially if you can spend a little time watching the elk. I don't know about driving your classic car down to the beach, but I'm not too comfortable with the idea of taking such a special car on this sort of trip anyway.

Have fun,

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years