Default Boston to DC with Young Kids

This is my first post as a new member. We are planning to drive from Boston to the DC area with a 1 yr old and a 4 yr old in August. Any advice on places to stop about every 3 hours or so? Museums, parks, fun restaurants, etc?

Default You need Mass Tim or AZBuck!

Quote Originally Posted by NewtonMom View Post
    Any advice on places to stop about every 3 hours or so? Museums, parks, fun restaurants, etc?
    I haven't been in that part of the country recently enough to be much help -- but both Mass Tim and AZBuck are experts in this region. I have written an article that will be published on MSNBC.com next week about family road trips, here is an excerpt with one idea that I recommend:
    5. Pack “Car Kits” for each child. This is a great way to enhance the excitement surrounding the trip. Choose age-appropriate items including crayons or markers, pads of paper, bandanas, personal travel pillows, games, small toys, a few treats, and their first day’s “travel allowance.” Maps of your route are great for children old enough to read. They can trace their progress, learn to navigate, and even stop asking “Are we there yet?” quite as often. Age appropriate “travel allowances” give kids leeway for shopping in gift stores and tourist traps without begging for money at every stop.

Put everything in a bag or other container each child can use on the trip to hold souvenirs, interesting “finds,” etc. Nylon lunch bags or small daypacks work well. Let the children know that they’ll be getting their Car Kits the day you leave home. It’ll give them one more thing to look forward to, and you won’t have any trouble at all getting them out of bed. You can add to the Car Kits as the trip progresses, giving the kids a little something to look forward to each morning.
    Here are some more cool tips and suggestions.

Mark