1. Default LA to NY in 4 days

Hi everyone!

I am planning a road trip in a few weeks from LA to NY. My boyfriend and I are driving together, and so we will share the driving shifts. We're taking the Northern Route (I've driven cross-country before, in the fall, and took the Southern Route, so trying something different this time), and we have to do this in 4 (max 5 days). That said, I am a girl, so I will need some bathroom stops, and also want to spend some quality time in Boulder and Chicago.

Mapping it out on Mapquest, it doesn't seem very time-efficient to choose Boulder as an overnight stop cuz that means either a very long (impossible?) first day (15.5 hours from LA to Boulder), or else a short day. But I really want to see it (I even have a friend who lives there)...

I could use any and all advice you all have for doing this trip with as much enjoyment as possible, while still making good time. How have you done this trip yourself? Where would you recommend stopping for the scenery and spending the night? Thanks!

Default It is a much nicer drive in five days!

Quote Originally Posted by shimmer View Post
    I am planning a road trip in a few weeks from LA to NY. My boyfriend and I are driving together, and so we will share the driving shifts.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    We're taking the Northern Route (I've driven cross-country before, in the fall, and took the Southern Route, so trying something different this time), and we have to do this in 4 (max 5 days).
    What route are you calling the northern route? Given those time parameters, I would bet you are planning to use I-15 and I-70? (more of a "central route"). In any case, it will be impossible to cover that distance in 15.5 hours -- it is about 1030 miles and wildfires are likely to be encountered and so the fastest possible time would be about 19 hours of travel -- way too much for the first day! I would stay that first night in either Green River, Utah or Grand Junction, CO.

Here is some info about my favorite sections of I-70 in Utah.

If you could stretch this trip to five days, you will find it much less stressful, no matter what you ought to read these tips about speed runs!

Mark

3. Default Thanks!

Hey Mark, thanks for the great advice!
    I will definitely consider making the trip in 5 days (if I can convince my speed demon BF!), and I can't wait to look into your article about Utah! If you have other points of interest you'd like to point out to me, I'm all ears.

Default Speed demon

Hi,

Watch it! The cops in Colorado, Kansas and Missouri (states I've driven across many times) will just love your "speed demon BF." My wife got out of a ticket in Nebraska once by hiking up her short shorts even shorter and smiling very sweetly (at least we think that is why she got out of the ticket), but I doubt that the trick would work for your BF!

Besides, the first half of the trip is too beautiful to speed through, so spend the night part way to Boulder. The rest of the trip is easy at the limit and all downhill.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

5. Default Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! My BF is already talking about wanting to drive from LA to Boulder/Denver in one shot... So I'm thinking speed (and fatigue) are not factors of consideration for him! I know he will be pissed off if he gets a heafty ticket though, so I am really hoping that does not happen - what a downer that would be!

I took the "southern route" (NM, TX) when I drove East-West a few years back (originating in Washington, DC). The map tells me to take the "northern route" (UT, CO) this time. I have heard that other than UT, CO, and Chicago, this route is really boring, and with your speed warning, I am starting to question if this is the best idea.

...Anyone out there have any insight on this?
    Last edited by shimmer; 07-14-2007 at 04:43 PM. Reason: x