1. Default Boston-Cape Code-Maine-Newport, which route is the best, traffic-wise?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this board and really appreciate suggestions for my upcoming trip. I'm planning a surprised trip for my husband's special day. Plan to visit Boston, Cape Code, Maine and Newport during the first week of Sept. for 9 days. Will be flying in to Boston, what is the best route to avoid the crowd and traffic? I mean, should I heading north to Maine (South and Mid Coast), then drive back to Cape Code, then Boston and finish my trip in Newport or should do the reverse?

I plan to stay in each location for a couple days. Love to experience all the New England charms (light house, mansion, lovely town etc). Don't plan to spend much time at the beach.

Again, really appreciate any advice on this.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default I am not sure there is a significant difference

Quote Originally Posted by jubjang View Post
    Plan to visit Boston, Cape Code, Maine and Newport during the first week of Sept. for 9 days.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I am hoping that Mass Tim stops by and can respond to this thread, but in my experience, I don't think either route will have a material impact on reducing traffic. September is prime season for roadtrips in this area. Gotta expect lots of traffic and just adjust your planning. Here is a truly superb thread, full of ideas for your trip.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Cape Cod, Maine, & Traffic

Well, the first week of September does see a moderate reduction in tourism for these areas, simply because the kids are back in school. However, the Boston area is notorious for traffic and, quite simply, it is one of the inevitables of traveling in the area. Boston is the largest city in New England, after all.

Now, that's not to discourage you. Boston during the week is one thing, Boston on the weekend is another - just like any city.

The traffic in Maine shouldn't be too bad, no matter what days you decide to go there - but if it were me, I would do Newport, Cape Cod, and Maine on weekdays, and visit Boston on the weekend(s).

4. Default

Hi! Mass Tim, Editor

Thank you very much for your reply. Now that I nail down the route (Boston in the first couple days, then New Port, Cape Code and Maine), will start making reservation. Hope you wouldn't mind if I come back with more questions.