Default The great pacific northwest

Hey all...me and a budday are driving from Edmonton, Alberta to San Francisco. The first day we hoped to make it to Hells Canyon, Id/Or and camp there, then drive to San Fran. What are some good places for our return trip?I had hoped to see a ball game in Seattle at one point, but other than Mt.Hood/Helens and the redwoods what have you guys come upon in Cascadia that you feel is worth the trip?Thanks for your input

Default How fast can you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by enectivex View Post
    The first day we hoped to make it to Hells Canyon, Id/and camp there,
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Edmonton to Hells Canyon in one day? 1365 Kms or 850 miles in one day... Canadian speeding limits are much less than USA limits and while I know that "everyone" seems to travel 15-20 Km/hr faster than the limits, I don't see how you can reach Hells Canyon in less than 17 hours of sustained driving. Plus, I don't know which border crossing you were planning to use, but I have never gotten through any of them (in recent months) without a 1-2 hour wait. And then Hells Canyon to San Francisco is another 750 miles (by the fastest possible route) or 13+ hours in the saddle. Even with speed run skills, this is going to be a brutal drive. How long will you have to rest after you reach San Francisco and need to return home?

Mark

Default pacific northwest

good point mark...I like to think i am a seasoned driver (never been pulled over, never got a ticket or been in an accident) and drove back from San Fran to edmonton twice in the past year in under two days. Unfortunately i have to work the night before we leave so I had planned to sleep the first part and then drive when my friend got tired. We were going to use the oosoyos border or the one by waterton park(?). Thankfully the border crossing there are quicker and I have never had trouble before. We have two weeks for the trip, and would be leaving san fran with about 7 days to casually return home. I have driven through the northwest but never really explored it. I had heard the 101 (pacific coast highway) is extremely slow moving, but scenic. Have you heard of the caves in south west oregon? Id heard something mentioned about them and could be interested. Pretty much any input anyone has could dictate or trip so anything would be valued, thx!!

Default A few ideas to get you started

Quote Originally Posted by enectivex View Post
    .. and drove back from San Fran to edmonton twice in the past year in under two days.
    Wow, that is seriously impressive...
    We were going to use the oosoyos border or the one by waterton park(?).
    A couple of weeks ago, I used the crossing at Waterton (CN-2) and also the one Coutts/Sweetgrass (CN-4 & I-15) -- the wait southbound at Coutts was about 1.5 hours. I don't think the Waterton crossing is 24 hours and so that might be a problem for you.
    I had heard the 101 (pacific coast highway) is extremely slow moving, but scenic.
    In Cailfornia, the Pacific Coast Highway is CA-1, in Oregon and Washington, it would be US-101. US-101 in California is an interior freeway (still scenic but not on the coast).

Here are a few links to help think about places to see:
    Suggestions from Judy on the coastal route
    More from Judy about Portland and Seattle
    Oregon and beyond by Peter Thody
    Redwoods to Seattle -- another excellent thread from Peter

Mark

Default north west

Thanks Mark for your input and assistance. When I was in San Fran earlier this year we purchased a car and then had to return to Edmonton in time for school, we hardly slept at all and pretty much b-lined it home. I was hoping to not have to do that again but we purchased tickets to hopefully catch Barry Bonds big home-run and we planned this date at the start of the year hoping he would be hitting it on the 25th...so far it looks like we could be lucky...Ill give you a cut Mark if i catch it!!