1. Default Campground reservations?

Hi there,
    What's with all this nonsense about making reservations for campsites nowadays? I looked on ReserveAmerica and it has x's through most days, and A's where you can reserve, and so on, and you pay a $7.50 fee to reserve online, not to mention the $20 fee for camping. Do you think it's actually necessary to make reservations at most places, especially in the summer? Or should I just show up and look for a spot then? Remember when campsite fees used to be $5?

Particularly, I'm headed up to McArthur-Burney Falls SP and Redwood NP (Elk Prairie or Gold Bluff Beach) in August.

Thanks,
    vaulter
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-12-2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Preferred URL Format

Default Population Explosion

Quote Originally Posted by vaulter View Post
    What's with all this nonsense about making reservations for campsites nowadays?
    It is the reality of trying to allocate scant resources. Many parks reserve a certain percentage of their sites on a first-come basis. And there is always the chance of being at the campground when a reservation cancels -- I have gotten spaces that way -- but generally, if you are seeking to stay at popular campgrounds you either have to reserve in advance or be willing to improvise.

Mark

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

A lot of retirees on the road and more families are camping too.
    Babyboomers are retiring and hitting the road more as well.

Pays to have a reservations if it's a popular place.
    You can always cancil it.

Our favorite places are booked 2 years in advance.

On the road with most KOA places seem to be no problem.
    They most always have a pitbull of a lady manager that keeps the campground kids in line too.

The closer to water, seems the more ya need reservations.

Anything under $30 bux anyplace is a bargain.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Federal Campgrounds... First Come/First Camped

Most federal lands are on a first come/first camped basis (except for group sites). The National Forest Service rarely manages camp reservations for individual camps. They just don't have the resources. I think BLM land is the same way. National parks may be different, but those aren't as "rugged" as camping on USFS Land.

State and County campgrounds are places where you are more likely to see reservations required, because they do have a larger budget and more of their facilities are not "wilderness camping", but with comforts like showers and flush toilets.

Personally, I prefer USFS campgrounds, as they are more rural, rugged, and nothing spells camping like the fragrance of a vault toilet (I kid).

-Brad

Quote Originally Posted by vaulter View Post
    and you pay a $7.50 fee to reserve online,
    If the campground that you want appears on recreation.gov then book there as they do not charge a booking fee. The software powering the website seems to be exactly the same as reserveamerica.