Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default one way car rental

hi
    we're planning a trip from new york to la in september, flights all booked from the uk but all the car rental companies we can find are charging an extra $500 for a one way rental from ny to la on top of the rental charge. are there any rental companies that have a lower one way charge?
    thanks
    dave

Default Where did you book the rental?

Quote Originally Posted by davebadger View Post
    we're planning a trip from new york to la in september, flights all booked from the uk but all the car rental companies we can find are charging an extra $500 for a one way rental from ny to la on top of the rental charge.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Short answer: Yes, there are some -- but it really comes down to where you made the booking. It is possible that a UK tourist office can obtain a better rate for you than if use a US-company's web site. Drop-off fees are the norm here -- and $500 might actually be reasonable -- but you might want to see if a professional can find an alternative for you.

There are ~ 500 posts on this Forum from UK travelers in recent months and all of them have used rental agenices -- you might wish to send a message to Moderator Craig, a UK citizen and USA roadtripper and get his advice.

Mark

3. Default

hi
    thanks i'll contact him.cars not booked yet, have tried quite a few agencys but all seem to quote a $500 local charge.
    any info greatfully received from people who have done it and not payed the fee or a lower one
    ta

Default Can't help

Unfortunately (or, from my point of view, fortunately) I have never had to worry about these fees as I've only ever done circular roadtrips. My first experience with flying in and out of different airports will be in November when I visit Florida. But, again, I'll not pay as they don't levy these surcharges when returning a car to a different location within the state of Florida. Which is nice.

The only thing that I can recommend is that you find the direct dial numbers of several rental agencies at JFK (or Newark) and call them direct to see if they have any cars being brought in from LAX in the weeks preceeding your arrival. The manager will generally waive these fees (and sometimes even offer a discount on the rental) in order to get these cars back to their home base.

Let us know if you have any luck.

5. Default

thats a good idea m8, i'll find some numbers and give them a call
    cheers
    dave

Default It may be possible to...

It may be possible organise this - or even negotiate a discount on the $500 charge if this is not possible - by calling the UK office of the various rental companies. I suspect though, sadly, that avenue may be a no-go.

Of course shop around and try these tricks - might even be worth calling other rental depots (including non-arport locations) that are on your route. Even if you have to pick up at JFK and then drop at Buffalo where you can then pick up the car that needs returning to LA, then you'll save a packet on one-way fees.

Finally, although it's unlikely that you'll find anything on their list given the very popular route you'll be taking, it might be worth reading up on Drive Away servces.

Best of luck!

I had no idea the one-way fees had climbed so high. Craig and I have been talking on the off-shore forum and I was feeling rather "used" over the $157 fee for renting a car in Oslo and returning it in Bergen. I guess I'll shut up...

Default And in RVs....

Quote Originally Posted by Earle View Post
    I had no idea the one-way fees had climbed so high.
    Yeah, I have seen $1200 one-way fees for RV rentals.... (I have never paid such a thing though).

Mark

There are usually "work-arounds" available to us who live here, but they're hard to arrange from overseas...

10. Default

would you like to share the work arounds? ;)