1. Default through nevada to utah - hwy 50 or i80?

i'll be driving one of these routes from reno on the way to green river, ut this week and wanted to get some feedback as to what you liked/didn't like about one or the other. it'll be a straight shot through the state...no overnight stays and a little time set aside for any interesting roadside sightseeing.

i heard i80 is faster (but more miles and not as interesting) and that hwy 50 takes longer, less miles, and more interesting.

i'm leaning towards hwy 50 at the moment, but trying to figure out which is more important to me...less miles or less time. hmm.

also, does anyone know if towns along hwy 50 are still doing that "i survived the lonliest highway in america" campaign?

thanks in advance for your input!

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default My vote goes to US 50

Hi and welcome to the RTA forum!

it'll be a straight shot through the state...no overnight stays.
    Whew! That's a pretty ambitious trip. You're looking at a total of ~700 miles. I hope you're an accomplished and experienced driver!
    a little time set aside for any interesting roadside sightseeing
    Tsk. That's a shame. However, that doesn't mean you can't do a little sightseeing from the interior of your car. Places such as Sevier Lake, the Middlegate shoe tree and the Toyiabe Range are quite a sight and can be seen from the highway.

i heard i80 is faster (but more miles and not as interesting) and that hwy 50 takes longer, less miles, and more interesting.

i'm leaning towards hwy 50 at the moment, but trying to figure out which is more important to me...less miles or less time. hmm.
    According to Mapquest, I-80 adds about 50 miles to the trip. While I-80 is not bad in terms of scenery and may be faster, I-50 is so much more spectacular, tremendous, glistening and exciting. Definitely one of the most interesting stretches of highways I've ever driven on. Don't expect McD's at every corner though. They don't call it the loneliest road for nothing. The International Café in Austin serves tasty burgers and fries in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure you'll manage to find at least 10-15 during your canonball roadtrip to stop at the Spencer hot springs just a few miles off road 376.

If you feel tired and think you won't make it, there are a couple of decent and inexpensive motels in Ely. Not to mention all the campgrounds in Great Basin NP, the State Parks and National Forests along the way. Avoid driving at night if possible, wild animals are omnipresent along that road.

also, does anyone know if towns along hwy 50 are still doing that "i survived the lonliest highway in america" campaign?
    I don't know about the campaign, but I saw one of those kits for sale in the window display of a store in Eureka.

Have a nice trip!
    Gen

3. Default

thanks gen! this is exactly the type of information i was looking for. yes, i'm disappointed i won't get to spend more time for side trips to ghost towns, great scenery, etc.

international cafe sounds yummy. will have to check it out. and, yes, i believe the kit is part of the campaign. although it will be a quick trip through the state, i look forward to seeing the sights. i'll post up if i come across some interesting finds.