Default USA in 3 months!!!!

Myself & my friend are hoping to travel around America next year and really need some help!!!! We are hoping to spend 3 months travelling around but have no idea where to start & where to go. We are from Ireland so are assuming New York is a good starting point but after that we don't know. Is travelling via the Greyhound our best bet??? are there some states we really should see??? Any suggestions at all would be really helpful.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Viv & Jill

Default Well...

Hello and welcome to the site. Three months is a long time to have to travel and you can certainly begin to do justice to the country in that time. But the place is so vast, compared to what we're used to, that even in that time there's no way you can see it all.

Many people like to have a 'theme' to their trip. That theme could be seeing all the MLB ball parks, all the National Parks, all 50 states, etc. In my case I am forced to take shorter breaks so I will eventually do all of them - just spread over many years! Is there anything in particular which appeals to you?

Have you and your friend travelled together before? It is always a good idea to take this quiz to give you food for thought.

I am presuming, even though you'll have a large amount of time on the ground, you'll have budget limitations. This thread has some interesting tips on the subject of budgeting

Ref Greyhound: I've never used them but I am told they can be both a miserable experience and a great way to meet people and see the 'real' America. Personally I prefer the comfort and convenience of having a rental car but you may prefer to do it differently. Take a look at the Greyhound website and check out the routes - you may be happy with where they can take you or you may feel restricted. Of course, there's nothing to say that you can do a mixture of bus, train, plane and car...

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Greyhound

Greyhound would be an interesting way to travel across the country, but I'd say most people would probably find it a bit tedious. Bus routes tend to be very slow, because they stop in most every little town. Those stops can mean a trip that would take 4-5 hours by car can take 8-10 by bus.

Amtrak's rail service has an unlimited ride type option for foreign visitors, but its service can be limiting, as it doesn't serve several parts of the country.

Renting a car is usually the prefered way to go, but it can be expensive, (very expensive if you are under 25) and nearly impossible if you are under the age of 21.

Over the course of 3 months, I would probably recommend a mix, with greyhound or amtrak being excellent choices if you are going to be exploring the Bostion-NY-DC area for a while, but then looking at some other choices as you move into the more wide open areas of the west.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Route 66

Look into running the whole length of the old road from Chicago to LA. You get a very good cross section of the US along the way. Coming back from San Francisco, you can take the old Lincoln Highway back to New York City.

There are lots of published sources of information for both roads, but especially Route 66.

Keep on Down Those Two Lane Highways. --RoadDog

Default USA in 3 months!!!

Hi Guys,
    Thank you so much for your replies.
    Myself & my friend have travelled together for over 10 years so there will be no problems there but we will take a look at the quiz anyway. To be honest we have no 'theme' to our trip, we just know there are certain states/cities we really want to visit i.e. Boston / Chicago / Memphis / Texas / Vegas / LA San Fran etc. Regarding the travelling, we really didn't want to have to drive, neither of us have driven in a different country and wouldn't really feel confident to do so either hence the reason we were enquiring about the Greyhound but we will definitely look into the train & plane also, travelling via a mixture of each is probably our best bet alright!!!
    Thanks again for all your advise, I'll be back when I need more info.

Default Freestyling?

Are you planning on defining a route before you go or are you just gonna hop on a plane, with a few ideas of places you want to go, and see where you end up once you're on the ground? If so then you might want to look into 'Drive Away' options. I know you say that you'd prefer not to drive but there are going to be times that you aren't going to have any other option - relax, it really is very easy! - and Drive Away opens up all sorts of possibilities for getting around... and cheaply. Sometimes you even get paid!

Whatever you choose to do, will you come back on here and tell us about your experiences when you get back?

Default USA in 3 months!!!

Hi UKCraig,
    Thanks a mil for that website, we'll definitely have a look at it and of course I'll come back on & let you know how we get on.
    Thanks again for all your help.