1. Default Road trip from East to West

My husband and I are planning a road trip from NY to San Diago, CA to visit friends with 2 kids, ages 14 and 9. Not sure If we can make the trip in one week with the kids. Should we fly half way and rent a car the rest of the way? If so, where should we fly to? I want to show them out west land marks such as the grand canyon. Any advice would be appreciated.

Tucson, AZ

Default Fly/Drive

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Normally, we're pretty much fans of the RoadTrip around here, but I think in your case I might make an exception. It would take a minimum of 4 and a half to five days just to make the drive from New York to San Diego, leaving only a couple of days to actually see some of the great sights you want to show your kids. So let me suggest that you fly into Denver, a major airline hub just at the start of the Rocky Mountains. Nearby is Rocky Mountain National Park, a great introduction to "the west". Crossing the Rockies on I-70 will bring you to Arches National Park and then continue on across the San Rafael Swell before connecting with I-15 which will take you south to Bryce Canyon and ZionNational Parks. Las Vegas is much more family oriented today than its reputation would lead you to believe. A day's drive east of here is the Grand Canyon. Finally, after sating the kids, it would still be possible to get from the Canyon to San Diego in a fairly long day's drive of 560 miles through the Mojave Desert and the fringes of the Los Angeles Basin.

Even while listing the places available to you on such a fly/drive trip, I realize that you may not be able to see it all, even spending only a day or less at each site, but such a plan would give you much more time to actually get out and see those wonders rather than just driving up to them and getting gout of the car for not much more than a quick photo-op.