Default march 2008 cross america drive

Hello,

I am currently trying to plan the trip of a lifetime, and with the first leg of it, i am more than hoping to get some good advice from anyone who is offering. I will be flying into Miami starting a round the world trip (flying out of London) and it is our plan, to drive from miami to LA, but not the most direct route persay. I have found a website online which is called autodriveaway. I donīt know if any of you are familiar with it, but i would be driving other peoples cars for them, from point A to B. We are hoping to make our way accross the country like this,only having to pay for gas along the way.
    Of the two of us going, i am the only one with a liscence, have had it for 7 years almost, and i enjoy driving, so i don't see the long hauls being a problem. What i was wondering, is how much time i should give us for this journey. We want to go from miami to NY, visit DC (i have family) swing by minneapolis and then to MT rushmore, and i know it is zigzagging, but head down to the 4 corners area, monument valley, grandcanyon, etc. Stopping at some point briefly in Vegas, going up to SF, and ending it in LA.
    We dont forsee staying more than 2 nights in any given choice of stop, and in order to book my plane tickets, i need to have a rough idea of how long this type of journey can take me. Also, what areas would i have trouble due to weather in mid march, and which ones would be an easy drive.
    It is definetely going to be a feat of a trip, after LA we are flying to fiji, NZ, Australia, and thailand before going home. Trip all in all will take about 6-8 months.
    Clearly, any input is more than appreciated, i knwo it is a ways off, but i am in the planning stages at the moment, and wouldnt mind some guidance.
    Thank you ahead of time!
    Kat

Default Auto Driveaway

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Yes, we are familiar with Auto Driveaway and similar companies. While they can be a good match for people who need to get from Point A to Point B, I don't think they would meet your needs for this trip. You state that you do not want to travel by the most direct route, and hope to visit family and attractions along the way. This will not be possible with Auto Driveaway. People hire this firm to transport their cars while (typically) they fly or drive another vehicle to a new home. The cars must be delivered on time, not at the convenience of the person getting the 'free ride'. You simply would not have time for any of the things you envision doing in the US if you pursue this option.

AZBuck

I appreciate what you are saying, which is why we would try to get for example, a car from miami to NY (someone wanting us to transport it like that) then another one, say from NY to Minneapolis.. obviously it depends on the specific availability of what vehicle where at the time, i know they want it at the destination quite quickly, which we would do. Trying to make the drop off points for vehicles the actual locations where we hoped to spend a night or two, if that makes sense?
    Obviously, the specific route wont be determined until last minuted due to this circumstance, but renting a car would be far too expensive, considering we need to do this on a relaively tight budget.
    Seeing it from that angle, any idea how long i would need from start to end?
    Thanks, :D

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

As a general rule, a trip from coast to coast of the US (eg - Boston to Los Angeles), takes about five solid days by the fastest route.

Miami to New York is two days.
    New York to Washington, DC is a quick day.
    Washington to Mt. Rushmore is three days.
    From Mt. Rushmore to the Four Corners is two days.
    Four Corners to Las Vegas is a day.

These are rough estimates, keep in mind.

I have heard of the service you mentioned, but have not heard anything from anybody that has used it. Sometimes they will give you an expected time of arrival and a mileage estimate - to keep people from driving the cars all over the country. Something you may want to keep in mind.

Mid-March in the Northern states can still be very winter-like, moreso as you travel into the Rocky Mountains (those states can, and do, get winter weather in some places during any month of the year).

Thank you for that reply, i guess if i figure in 2-3 weeks from landing in miami to take off from LA i should be ok for time. I am not looking forward to driving in the winter states in march, but my boyfriend is english, and he has never been to the states, so i want to show him as much as possible. :)
    there is just so much to see, that i clearly know we will be limited by the car stupilations of time and place, but it is worth the savings we will have.

I will obviously leave a message in here after its all done, so you have a refernce of how good this company is for that kind of thing.

well, i guess this is all from me for tonight, I am in london where it is currently 10 past midnight, so i am off to bed.
    Thank you both for yur inputs, they are very useful!

Default Look Closer

I think you really need to look at lot more closely into the drive away companies. While in a perfect world you could do a point to point trip like you are describing, I think the odds of you finding cars that need to go to those specific locations are going to be much much lower than you expect.

You could really have an interesting adventure trying to go from city to city with different drive aways, but I don't think you could have anything that resembles a set itineary. For example, when you are looking to leave from Miami, its quite possible that they won't have any cars that need to go to New York, and then even if they do, the odds of the company needing a car taken from NY to Minneapolis would be even smaller.

Much more likely, you could go to the driveaway location in Miami and have a choice of going to Nashville, Houston, or Atlana. So you could pick one of those cities, drive straight there and then have another list of choices once you get there. There's some fairly high odds that you'd never be able to visit the places that you've listed and you might want to visit most, plus near the end of all of that you will have hope you can take a car to LA, or at least somewhere in that general area, so you can make it to your airport for the flight home.

Good point!
    but i would have thought that in march you would have a few snowbirds going back up from florida to the colder states, or is that too soon for their migration?
    i know there are places as much as we want to go, we wont be able to, but im willing to accept that, instead we can run into very many other fun and random places.. and im really not entirely picky.. if instead of NY- minneapolis, i foind a car from NY- chicago, or some place in wisconsin or something like that i would be ok with that as well.
    as for getting to the airport in LA, i have a few friends spread out in that general area, where im sure one of em would give me a hand if needed..

do you have any other ideas for a cheap way to make it accross the country?