1. Default New York City to Bar Harbor, Maine! [First road trip ever..]

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum but I've been lurking around for a while now =]

On this road trip, my plan is to drive from NYC to Bar Harbor, Maine in one day and then work my way down.
    This is what I've got so far:

Acadia National Park
    Bar Harbor Ferry & Trolley Tour
    Bar Harbor Historical Society
    Abbe Museum [my mom said that it sounds really boring.. heh..]
    Village Green: Right in the heart of town, The gazebo hosts the town band every Monday and Thursday night.

That's all I've got so far and I was only going to spend around 3-4 days there. I'm not really into hiking o camping too much... I prefer cruises or bus tours. I prefer historical sights over pretty nature.

So then after Maine, I'm not sure if I should skip Vermont and New Hampshire, but so far, I haven't found anything super interesting there to make it worth the money for a good hotel [I'm very picky].

Anyway... after that, I'm going to stop in MA...

Boston Duck Tour
    Freedom Trail: A 2.5 mi. walking tour of 16 historic sites that begins at Boston Common, goes through downtown Boston, and connects to the Boston Harbor Walk.
    Ghost Tour: [LOVE IT!]
    Plymouth Plantation Tour by Bus
    Witch City - Salem & Marblehead Tour by Bus
    Boston to Provincetown High-Speed Ferry
    Faneuil Hall Marketplace
    MIT Museum: [My mom said that this sounded really boring...]
    Warren Anatomical Museum: Collection of distinct and pathological examples in anatomy
    Semitic Museum: Collection of over 40,000 artifacts from the Near East
    Peabody Museum of Archeology and Ethnology: One of the oldest museums in the world devoted to anthropology
    Museum of Science

So after 3-5 in Boston, Cambridge, Plymouth, and Salem [hopefully], I was thinking of driving over to Connecticut for 1 or 2 days... if I could only find more interesting things there. I found some fun things to do in New Haven but after doing some research and reading some scary things about the crime rate and so on, I'm not sure if I want to go there after all...

This is all I've found so far:

Gillette Castle State Park:

Aaand after that, maybe I'll stop in Rhode Island for a day or two.

So... any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!

Great Forum, by the way! =D
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-04-2007 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Reformatted; Deleted copyrighted material

Tucson, AZ

Default History in New England

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

New York to Bar Harbor is just within the realm of possible for a day's drive. While it is 'only' 500 miles, the miles at the start of your trip are heavily congested, and the miles at the end of your trip are on slower, two-lane roads. Still, it can be done and Bar Harbor will be a great place to restore your batteries. You've already found some of the best attractions in the Bar Harbor area, so let me suggest a few places on the way down the coast to Boston that fit with your historical bent. Colonial Pemaquid is a great excuse to take a scenic drive down one of the 'rock-ribbed' peninsulas for which Maine is famous. Portland is a great city for a walking tour, be sure to get to the Eastern Promenade. My favorite lighthouse on the entire coast is the Nubble in York, ME. Portsmouth, NH is another great walking town, particularly the waterfront and Strawbery Banke.

Again, you have the Boston area pretty well covered, but between Boston and New York on your way home, have a look at Old Sturbridge Village. In Hartford, my wife and I particularly enjoyed the tour of the Mark Twain House. The Harriet Beecher Stowe House is next door. Just southeast of Hartford are two relatively unique and low key attractions. The first is Dinosaur State Park where, if you bring your own plaster of paris, you can make casts of actual dinosaur footprints; and the second is the Rocky Hill-Glastonbury Ferry just down the road from Dinosaur Park and the oldest continuously operating ferry in the US. It crosses the Connecticut River. If you go to Rhode Island, be sure to take a tour of the "cottages" in Newport and stop in Mystic, CT as well, both for the history and the food.