1. Default My 4th Solo Cross-country Road Trip

Hi everyone! I have been lurking for a couple of days. I'm actually in the middle of a solo cross-country road trip right now. I started from New Hampshire and my end destination is Southern California.

I intended to take the regular, central route to Cali - I90 to I80 to I76, so on and so forth. But I remembered the bad altitude sickness I got last time I went that route... (I've done 3 cross-country road trips, this is my fourth). Plus, I have plenty of time on my hands because I'm self-employed and basically can work so long as I have my laptop and aircard. So I have decided to stay on I90 and go up to Minneapolis. From there, I'll go to Seattle, WA, then take I5 all the way down to Orange County, CA.

I'm wondering - does anyone have suggestions how (safely) I can meet other travelers? I'm 29 and female and alone, so I want to stay safe, but how can I meet other people without just going up to people in hotels? I have read your stories about making friends on the road... I want to do the same but not sure how.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for me of things to see once I get out of MN, that would be great. I'm going to the Mall of America Thursday. From there, it's open. I'll be taking I94 to I90 to Seattle.

Default Solo Adventuring

Quote Originally Posted by penguinette View Post
    Hi everyone! I have been lurking for a couple of days. I'm actually in the middle of a solo cross-country road trip right now. I started from New Hampshire and my end destination is Southern California.
    I hope you swing by our solo road trip poll and share your vote there... Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I intended to take the regular, central route to Cali - I90 to I80 to I76, so on and so forth. But I remembered the bad altitude sickness I got last time I went that route...
    If altitude sickness is really the culprit -- I would suggest that you just stay on I-80 and bypass the Colorado Rockies and then diagonal south on I-15 to southern California. You can certainly do the northern route -- but you will have to cross the Cascades that way.
    I'm wondering - does anyone have suggestions how (safely) I can meet other travelers? I'm 29 and female and alone, so I want to stay safe, but how can I meet other people without just going up to people in hotels?
    I don't have a readily available answer for that -- I meet 10-12 new people every day on the road, and I have never really thought how that happens. Megan is on a solo trip right now, I will have to ask her what she does. But one of the best ways to meet local people is to get your hair cut or your nails done in a new town and ask questions about where they like to hang out.

Here are some I-80 places to stop and check out.

Mark

3. Default

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, I've traveled along that route you suggested, and according to Google Earth, it's about the same altitude (give or take a thousand feet) as the one I'm planning to take. I also want to see Seattle, so I think I'm going to stick with that route. The cascades aren't too steep and scary to drive over, are they? I've heard they are pretty decent for crossing on I90 or I94.