1. Default Road Trip from El Paso Texas to Los Angeles

Hi Everyone,

I just have a few quick questions. I am going to be traveling from El Paso to L.A., but a friend of mine and I would like to camp overnight someplace along the way (We will be taking I-10 the entire way). We would like to find something to do during the day along the lines of scenic drives, etc. and then find a great camp ground for the night. Does anyone have any ideas? Is the Grand Canyon too far to make it a day trip? Are there any national parks to been seen along I-10?

Tucson, AZ

Default Once Over Lightly

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Yes, I'm afraid that the Grand Canyon is too far off your route to include in a leisurely two day drive between El Paso and Los Angeles, It would push this trip up to nearly 1200 miles. But there are things to see and scenic roads to drive along the more direct route, starting with Kartchner Caverns near Benson Arizona or Saguaro National Park near Tucson. If you plan to stop at Saguaro, plan to use the East Unit, as all exits off I-10 in Tucson, including the one for the road to the West Unit, are closed while it undergoes repairs. It won't be bad as long as you're 'just passing through' but don't plan on stopping in downtown Tucson on this trip. Plan on taking I-8 west from Casa Grande to Gila Bend and AZ-85 north to Buckeye to avoid Phoenix.This is also around where you'd like to camp for the night, but the only public camp grounds are in Picacho Peak State Park. It shouldn't be too crowded this time of year, but should still cool off enough at night to be comfortable. On the second day, consider a drive and/or hike through Joshua Tree National Park. You can enter from the south off I-10 and leave to the north and join CA-62 which will take you west to rejoin I-10. Hope you have the kind of trip you and your friend are looking for.

3. Default

This is a good trip. Take and post pics.