Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toll roads

1. Default Toll roads

Can you pay tolls w/ credit card and how much does it cost usually along I-90 going through minnesota, wisconsin, illinois and indiana? I know this is a stupid question, but I've lived on the west coast all my life and have never seen a toll booth.

Default Toll Roads Around Chicago

None of the roads you'll use in Minnesota or Wisconsin are toll roads I'm actually not aware of any toll roads in those states. In Illinois, I presume you'll be using I-294, the Tri-State Tollway. Tolls are collected at toll plazas along the highway every so many miles and are typically $0.50, $1.00, or $1.50. You cannot pay by credit card unless you buy an EZ-Pass which is more than you'll need. Just bring a roll of quarters and head for the exact change lanes. In Indiana, you'll be on the Indiana Toll Road. You will be issued a card saying where you got on and you pay the appropriate toll at the exit ramp when you get off. This will be a few dollars, hardly requiring a credit card, and I don't see where they say anywhere on their web site that they accept them.

AZBuck

Default Paying tolls

I have not seen a place that takes credit cards for tolls.

For Illinois, I found this page - which also has a link to a page with maps and toll rates. I think Illinois still has toll booths that are right on the route, rather than the exit-type tollbooth (which I much prefer).

Here is a page for Indiana. For a regular car, it is $4.65

I don't believe that I-90 is a toll road in Wisconsin nor Minnesota. I'm guessing here, but I'd say the toll would be about $10 or so. It has been awhile since I've been up that way!

Default I-Tolls

Buck and Tim are right, there are no tolls along I-90 in Minnesota or Wisconsin. In fact, I can't think of any toll roads or toll bridges anywhere in either of those two states.

Illinois has made some big changes to their tollways in the past couple of years. First, they doubled the "cash" fee for the tolls, but they kept the rates the same for people who use I-Pass. On I-90, you'll pay $4.20 cash to drive the Northwest Tollway from Wisconsin to O'Hare ($1, $1.60, and 2 $.80 toll booths). If you use I-294 (tri-state tollway) to bypass downtown Chicago, I believe the charge is $2.40 cash to go from O'Hare to Indiana. I think the Chicago Skyway (I-90) is about $2, but I never go that way so I'm not 100% sure (I usually take I-294 during rush hour, or at night I'll take I-90 to Downtown Chicago, Follow I-94 around Gary IN, and then rejoin I-90 again later in Indiana.)

The other big change for Illinois Tollways is that they've basically phased out the "exact change only" lanes that Buck spoke of. They have been replaced by "Open Road Tolling" which allows I-pass users to stay at speed on the major section of the freeway, with cash users basically having to exit off onto the side of the road, where there are 2 or 3 cash attendant lanes.

Indiana uses a take a ticket and pay when you are done method, although I believe they too are starting their own electronic tolling option.

If you are only driving in Illinois, Indiana, or Ohio (Ohio does not have any electronic toll option, its cash only), then I would just pay the extra money and deal with the inconvience. If you are continuing on to say New York or other eastern states, it might be worth purchasing an Electronic Toll Pass. Thankfully, The EZ-Pass and I-pass are interchangeable, so if you buy one, you'll be able to use it for your whole trip, and the East Coast tolls tend to cost quite a bit more, so you could quickly use up the money you prepay for your tolls.

5. Default

Thank you everybody for answering so quickly. You all have been a great help!

6. Default

Just fyi, if anyone's going through Chicago - the Skyway is $3. They just upped it this year. Indiana/Illinois tollways get expensive. Lame.

If you're driving that way and it's warm, stop at the Dunes (south of chicago like 45 minutes) and go to the clay pits! So much fun...

7. Default

And FYI, the Indiana 'I-Zoom' is compatible with EZ Pass/I-Pass, if you have it.

Sykotyk

8. Default I-90 from West to East

My husband and I are going to be traveling 90% of I-90 in 11 days (Coeur d'Alene, Idaho to Buffalo, NY) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how many toll booths we were going to encounter and how much cash we needed to have?

Thankfully, Every state except Illinois that has tolls runs on a system where you only pay when you get on or off the road. So, for example, in Indiana, you'll only have to stop twice - once when you get into the state and once when you leave - unless you get off the highway for gas or motels or just to take a break.

Illinois it will depend upon which of a handful of route you can take to get through/around Chicago. There are about 4 between Wisconsin and Chicago, and then others within the Chicagoland area.

The links provided in the above posts should give you more details, as well as the rates you'll have to pay.

You could also look at stopping to get an IPass right when you get into Illinois, at the Road Ranger truck stop right at exit 1 just across the WI border, or you could get one at the first Tollway Oasis. The I-pass will work in every state you pass through (interchangable with I-Zoom and EZPass) and will give you reduced rates, but you do have to pay a $10 deposit and would have to deal with the hassle of returning the device once your trip was done..

Plan on taking the following route:

I-90 into IL, get off on I-290 in the western Chicago suburbs, take that to I-355 to I-80. Take that to the Indiana Toll Road which is once again I-90. Take that through Ohio to west of Cleveland and follow I-90 to Buffalo. Cash tolls on this route for a passenger car are $27.80. Illinois has barrier tolls, Indiana, Ohio, and New York use ticket systems.