1. Default May 2008 - Calgary to California

Me and a friend are hoping to make a trip down to California in the month of May..possibly a 2 week road trip and were wondering which cities we should stop by on the way there (attractions, sight seeing) my friend is also very into photography so places where he could take some good picutres would be nice. I would really like to go down to Laguna Beach and/or New Port and would like any information regarding hotels, places i should visit and things i should beware of besides the traffic and weather and such. I know this is quite a broad question but any information would be very nice and helpful since this will be my first time in the states and my first road trip!!
    Thank you!

Tucson, AZ

Default You Won't Have Enough Time to See It All

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It's unfortunate that you have only two weeks for this trip, because it will take a minimum of a half week (3+ days) just to make the drive each way, leaving you with only a week to split between Southern California and all the wonders you'll be passing to get there. You will, in fact, be basically following the spine of the Rocky Mountains and coming within visiting distance of some of the very best natural wonders that the US has to offer, including Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon, Death Valley and Joshua Tree National Parks. So you're going to have to make some hard decisions, but fortunately whatever you decide to see will bee great. I've been in Banff in May and it was wonderful. You can expect the same or warmer as you work your way south, with many of the parks just opening and still not near capacity with visitors as yet. Should be very nice and scenic trip, bring extra memory chips or film for your cameras.

3. Default

Thank you for your reply! The two weeks isn't set yet we maybe extend it it to 3 weeks but after your reply im thinking we might extend it to 3 weeks! But if not we may look into flying out from calgary to salt lake and then driving down to california and then on the way back we maybe fly back from california to salt lake and then drive back to calgary! Either way i'm sure we will have fun!

What are your all time favorite spots you have visited on that route?

Tucson, AZ

Default Extend If Possible

By all means, make this a three week trip if you possibly can. The problem is that some of the very best spots are in the north (Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons) and you'd miss these if you flew to Salt Lake City. But with three weeks, you would have time to at least pay a brief visit to all the places I listed earlier. It more be more of a smörgåsbord than a gourmet feast, but at least you'll know first hand what's out there for later, more in-depth, trips.